1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kareem wants a statue ...NOW!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, May 18, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6563112

I agree with him. De La Hoya has a statue and not the NBA's all-time leading scorer? I don't get it. Kareem is a top-10 NBA player in history and deserves to be recognized as such.

2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerned they should put a statue up in Milwaukee as well.

3. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

This

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Yeah, Milwaukee. The Bucks franchise would not exist if not for Kareem (it would have moved/folded in the early 70s).

2. Wayne Gretzky? What. The. Fuck.

3. Baylor and Wilt say WTF, too -- their statues should have gone up before a broadcaster's.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Um, why wouldn't Gretzky get one?

6. Starman

Kings never won a championship or even came close during his tenure (they made the Finals once and got blown off the ice). I don't feel like adding up the overall records but it appears LA was barely over .500 (maybe under) with Gretzky on the roster.

To get a statue, you should win a LOT of games.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

or be the best player to ever play the game

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Probably because they felt they needed at least one token hockey player.

Part of the problem is you've got a building with three major teague tenants, and several other lesser tenants (WNBA, AFL, etc.). And you've already constructed three statues representing the Lakers, only one for the Kings, and zero for the Clippers or other tenants.

There's already a perception that the other teams ae just renting out the Lakers' house. Increasing the statue disproportion only increases that perception.

That said, Kareem obviously is very deserving. But the idea of a man who's been deluged with honors his whole life being upset about an unbuilt statue strikes me as kind of petty.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Kareem is the most under-appreciated basketball player of all-time. It's really unfortunate.

10. Starman

Probably true, but he has contributed greatly to this perception with his erratic post-retirement relationship with the media. For the most part he's been very standoffish, avoided media exposure, except when he has some particular project he wants to promote.

He's a good speaker and at times can project a friendly public image -- there's no reason he shouldn't have been able to have a Bill Walton-like career as a commentator.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

To be fair, we should at least post the original story/interview.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-05-18/kareem-abdul-jabbar-feels-slighted-without-statue-at-staples-center

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

What he did on the court was amazing...a big man with moves...unstoppable. Definitely should be honored...just wish he didn't feel the need to request it.

Draft saved Draft deleted