1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bud Collins interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, May 16, 2011.

1. mrbio

mrbio Member

A legendary figure in the sports journalism business is Bud Collins. From covering Muhammad Ali, commentating on NBC at Wimbledon for decades, publishing encyclopedias and biographies, penning columns for the Boston Globe, this man has done it all and then some. He gave this excellent interview which I thought the SJ members would enjoy to read...

http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/biofile-with-bud-collins/

2. i don't challenge his tennis acumen or his writing ability, but i always found it difficult to read some of his stuff; stream of consciousness analogies and cliches. Kinda started to dissolve into an Alan Alda soliloquy from MASH with a bunch of bad puns and annoying arrogance.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

ditto

4. mrbio

mrbio Member

Suppose not even one's all-time favorite writer's writing satisfies or dazzles ALL the time but when Bud Collins puts finger to typepad you have to respect what he produces. The man is a living institution. BTW, he is still active in tennis journalism. I saw him in Miami covering, working, and doing public interviews with players. He was also in Chile in Feb. for the USA vs. Chile Davis Cup tie. The man is in his 80s. He has a tennis web site www.budcollinstennis.com

Pretty hilarious story about his disastrous interview with Jill Hetherington though : )

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Criminy.

Draft saved Draft deleted