1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mother Nature being a mother

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good Lord. Could it have been a sick prank?

Insofar as cable news coverage, it appears the outlets are in full catch-up mode. The wedding is over.

2. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Don't think so. I believe our paper got the same fax, or the e-mail version.

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Other than the power being out, my "plantation" place is fine. I can't say the
    same about other homes in my neighborhood. One block down and one
    block over three different houses were destroyed by trees falling on
    them. I'm talking 120-foot oak trees like the eight in my front yard. So I'm living like I'm camping, with flashlights, a gas grill with a one-burner stove and heating water in a pot for a morning scrub.

That's nothing compared to Ringgold, a 10-minute drive from downtown

Have a look: http://www.tfponline.com/news/2011/apr/29/photo-gallery-storm-damage-around-tennessee-valley/?breakingnews
    And here too:http://www.tfponline.com/news/2011/apr/29/photo-gallery-images-storm-damage/?breakingnews

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Send those Westboro bastards down. We could use a theraputic ass kicking.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

A girl that went to high school with me lost her camper and her house's roof, but her husband and kids are okay.

If my math holds up, this will be deadliest tornado outbreak in U.S. history, worse than the Super Outbreak of 1974, when tornadoes hit everywhere from Ontario to Alabama. That killed 315-330 people
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Outbreak

6. dixiehack

Tuscaloosa mayor: 446 still missing in city.

7. dixiehack

Mwwt Jason835A, who is apparently the stupidest person alive. Filmed the tornado from the University Mall parking lot, which meant the thing went right across the street from him.

The worst damage was in the Alberta City neighborhood. It isn't the absolute worst section of town, but it is the worst part that outsiders travel through on a regular basis. They are just now starting to get in there and find casualties. CNN went in and found a great ancedote.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/29/tuscaloosa.alberta.tornado/index.html?hpt=C1

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I loved this that asshole moved closer, then had a meltdown.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

After my ranting about the failings of cable news, I have to give some credit to NBC's Brian Williams. He landed in London, learned about the tornadoes and immediately came back to the States to cover it.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

A tip of the cap to all of the Alabama papers. I've been reading most of the major papers' websites this week, and the work has been outstanding under extremely difficult conditions. Good job by all.

11. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Indeed. It's about the only coverage you'll see, as the national media is firmly planted up the backside of this royal wedding thing. Some of the arial photography from the Tuscaloosa News site, seeing the path of the tornado from above, it's just amazing trying to comprehend the damage.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

But enough about the football players already...

Draft saved Draft deleted