1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times says 35 jobs open at ESPN The Mag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

If the choice is being on the UL, and I'm not talking about Underwriter's Laboratory, and employment in this climate, it's not that difficult a decision.

2. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

This would be the second time in seven years some people there have to decide as there are a few former SportsTicker people at the Magazine, who landed there after ESPN moved the Ticker from Jersey City in July 2004.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Keith Olbermann said it best: "Bristol is the most God-forsaken town in America."
    I lived there for three months, during which time the bowling alley burned down. The only fun to be had in that city.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Bullshit. A lot of people live in West Hartford, or Avon, or Farmington, or New Britain, or anything in that area.
    No one who respects their belongings lives in Hartford.

5. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

My best friend lives in Bristol. It sucks. Live in Farmington.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I am in CT. West Hartford is a great town. Plenty of life. My only point is that all the doom and gloom you hear from people is misguided. Farmington is a great town to live in as is West Hartford and other areas in the valley.

I just get annoyed at the "You've ever been to Bristol?" It's like people who work there don't have cars or something.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

People who bash Bristol oughta see the towns that make it look good in comparison.

Kids in my hometown used to go to Bristol for nightlife. I really did just write that sentence.

8. Mulligan

Mulligan Guest

I think the jobs are entirely for the desk. Reporters don't have to move.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

OK, so make yourself unemployed and stay back in NYC. That'll show 'em.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

There are some very nice towns surrounding Bristol. But Avon? Farmington? You'll need on-air talent $ to afford those.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have some friends who work there who live in Plantsville.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Avon, yes. Farmington is affordable. I lived there and I was a low-level grunt.

Draft saved Draft deleted