1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter -- Longview (Texas) News-Journal,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Apr 5, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Sports Reporter - East Texas newspaper group seeks a sports reporter. This position has primary responsibility for coverage of Marshall High School sports and local college sports, non-traditional sports, outdoor sports and occasional coverage of other area high school and college programs. This job is based at the Marshall News Messenger reporting to the Longview News-Journal sports editor. Job requires good writing skills, especially the ability to write game stories on deadline and ability to turn a feature or personality profile. Must have an outstanding command of English, including grammer, spelling and knowledge of an adherence to AP style. Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, and at least one year of recent daily newspaper or website experience ( or at least two newspaper reporting internships), and a solidd understanding of how to report, write and deliver information online and in print in a fast-paced news environment. Valid drivers license and proof of insurance required. Submitt cover letter and resume' to jobs@etcnonline.com.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1245996

2. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

I can answer some questions on this one if needed.

Pay isn't going to be good. Company that owns Longview, Marshall, etc., just threw down the second half of 10 furlough days for the first half of the year.

With that said, the Sports Editor at the Longview News-Journal this writer will report to is top-notch and a super nice guy. Marshall High has solid high school programs and you'll cover East Texas Baptist University, a Division III school that's usually good at football.

High school-wise, you'd be in East Texas, which has some of the best high school football in the country.

3. Elmwood44

Elmwood44 New Member

Obviously they have a "solidd" command of spelling. I'm guessing this will be a job with a lot of "do as I say, not as I do."

4. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

And please, use proper grammar when spelling "grammer."

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wow, grammer and submitt in the same ad. copy editing is optional.

6. MusicalSportswriter

MusicalSportswriter New Member

Jack at the Longview News-Journal is a great guy. Never worked for him, but he takes good care of the area colleges, too.

And Marshall also had a great boy's basketball team this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted