1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's new ombud--Poynter--takes on the Jalen Rose mess.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 31, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I like how they put 'talent' in quotes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/poynterreview/tag/_/name/poynter-review-project

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't blame someone for not wanting to tell their bosses they got a DUI, but if you're Jalen Rose and you roll your Escalade in Michigan, you've got to figure that's gonna leak out.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hey, Poynter...it's Warner <b>Robins</b>, Ga.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So, in conclusion, ESPN should have reported something it didn't know about.

Thanks, Poynter. You're still the balls.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The point, I think, was a) espn doesn't require its talent to report these things, so b) they're not always the first to know, and therefore c) they end up looking like they were covering up for the guy.

It's a perception issue more than a reporting issue.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When will the Detroit News or Free-Press ombudsman weigh on as to how Rose's arrest slipped past their police reporter for nearly three weeks?

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Can you really require someone to report such a thing? ESPN makes it clear they want the talent to report these things, but I suspect it's very hard to get something like that in a contract.

I'm not sure anyone has a moral obligation to tell their employer anytime they get into legal trouble or do something embarrassing. It would certainly be more convenient for ESPN if Jalen Rose did, but that's not really Jalen Rose's problem.

I don't quite get the point of the column. But then, I don't get the point of ESPN having an ombudsman in the first place.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That said. Would anyone on this board do the same thing in the same circumstances -- tell your employer?

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I have to. It's now a fireable offense in my shop.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you're a celebrity, if your situation is going to become a headline somewhere, if your employer is going to have to report it...absolutely, you have to tell.

That espn contract (generated by Disney) has all sorts of 'we own you' requirements in it. Amazing they don't require the reporting of legal problems, within certain parameters.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If it is in your circ area? Yes. Out of state? Maybe not. Its about credibility. I'd give some slack to people who don't have to worry about credibilty issues (like ad reps), but any newsroom people should report it to a supervisor, let them decide if it runs or not.

12. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

This didnt happen in New England or New York, does that make it outside of ESPN's circulation area? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted