1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's that time of year: College coach carousel!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Mar 7, 2011.

1. mb

mb Active Member

They can paint him as ready to bolt all they want. All he has to do is come strong with "I've got an 8-year deal and I'm not going anywhere. If I was, I'd have already gone. I've got everything I could ever want right here."

I'd say this is a whole lot more like Izzo-to-the-Cavs than anything else. A team shooting for the moon ... a coach listening ... and deciding not to leave. Now if he's doing this again in 12 months, I'll agree with you.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The only problem with that theory is that nearly all of Painter's competitors who take advantage of Painter's alleged wishy-washy attitude towards Purdue are all guilty of it themselves. Whether it was at their current school or at a former school.

Crean bailed on Marquette at one point, it's not like he's innocent. Several others have played the leverage game to get a raise.

The best advice to give any recruit is that all coaches are money-grubbing whores. Which is fine, all power to them if that's the way the system is set up.

But any recruit that goes into his recruitment -- and unfortunately, this includes 90 percent of them -- and thinks his coach is going to be loyal to him is naive as fuck. Go in with your eyes wide-fucking open.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

This.

And frankly, Miklasz should have known better. He was the only one who had Painter leaving, at least as far as I could tell. Now his byline was changed to staff reports. Odd.

Any one else out there needing a raise? Alden has done wonders for both Anderson and Painter. Tom Crean? Mike Brey? Brad Stevens? Mike Alden will do all he can to make sure you get all the fucking cash you want, without ever having to step foot inside the state of Missouri, much less Columbia.

And if Painter accepted then reneged, then fuck him too.

4. mb

mb Active Member

Mizzou's on the N.C. State plan from a few year's back. That ... didn't work out so well for the Pack.

5. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I saw that and it pisses me off. The ONLY people saying that Painter had accepted the job were with the P-D, and now you know they are going to paint it like he changed his mind so they don't have to admit they were wrong.

Whether they relied on a bad source, took a shot and missed, whatever. But they need to own the fact that they fucked up and jumped the gun because they wanted to be first with the story.

Like I said much earlier in this thread, the Star has kicked the P-D's ass from the second this coaching search started. And it's continuing.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Word for word. I'm not sure whether I should direct my ire at Painter for reneging, or at Bernie and Co. for whiffing in cartoon-like fashion.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Mizzou's coaching search still has a little ways to go in the incompetence department to catch up with its attempted entry into the Big Ten.

Mizzou athletics -- leading the nation in humiliating kicks to the groin.

8. mb

mb Active Member

Maybe I'm just ultraconservative, but when it's an alum leaving a school and a lateral move, you better all but have that dude on tape saying "I have taken the job" before you run with that bad boy. Because you're just *asking* to look stupid.

9. mb

mb Active Member

Along those Big 12 lines, they could just call Texas up and ask DeLoss Dodds what he wants them to do.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Alden could go cheap, stay in state and hire another Anderson.

11. chester

chester Member

Who would that be?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Better to be second and correct on a story than scoop everybody with bad info.

Draft saved Draft deleted