1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegas bound. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Peytons place, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Haven't been to Vegas in years but man have I wasted plenty of hours at Slots-A-Fun drinking the coldest beer on the strip!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pet Peeve of mine. Why is "coldest beer in town" a selling point? Freezing is not a good temperature to serve beer.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes, but there are compensating factors when it's 114 degrees in July in a town with too, too many outdoor swimming pools. Dry heat, my ass.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll give you that.

5. maberger

maberger Member

thanks for the comps update -- t'is true my formula comes from years back.

for some reason, i've never really liked the venetian. maybe it was adelson's anti-unionism, maybe his "i'm building a better hotel than the bellagio at a third the price," (i was a steve wynn guy when i started going to vegas; loved how his hotels ran and the fact that his employees were always happy. there was a certain feel to the mirage and then bellagio that has since been 'corporated out'), didn't like his slot club (where i spend most of my money) -- maybe just the rooms themselves. if you're creating 'suites' why the hell are the bedrooms in front?

i don't know, seemed to me all he did was take Bellagio's concept and market it down -- probably very smart for his convention clientele. And i love Emeril's food as much as the next guy, but he's no Sirio Maccioni or Jean-Georges Vongerichten. and yes i know, i'm an elitist douchebag.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indeed, first time I went there it was the middle of August.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Does Slots-A-Fun still have slots that pay out in actual coins? They did on my last run. Now that's old school.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think Fitzgerald's had some of those when I visited the gaming floor in 2009.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

An oven is dry heat and I don't want to inside one.

10. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Re: the food deals Peytons place originally inquired about when starting this thread a year ago:

I searched all 21 pages and couldn't find any reference to Restaurant.com. Maybe it's just such common knowledge these days that nobody needed to mention it?

For those who may be unfamiliar, Restaurant.com sells "gift certificates" from restaurants all over the country, including some of the most popular ones in Vegas. For example, a $50 certificate usually sells for $25, but they're always circulating a promo code for anywhere from 60 to 90 percent off, so you end up getting these certificates for a few bucks. They usually require a minimum of two entrees for $50 and larger certificates, and 18 percent gratuity is tacked on before the discount, but it equates to a killer deal every time.

My lady and I were able to eat at three of the nicest restaurants in Vegas last summer and it simply wouldn't have been possible without Restaurant.com. I swear by them now.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We used one yesterday at home. Paid $3 for a $25 certificate and got $40 bucks worth of food for $20 after the tip and $10 extra we had to spend. Great deal.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

if you visit slickdeals.com you can get even greater discounts. I get $10 gift cards to the local coney island for .80 cents. I can use them once a month... I do this all the time.

Anyway, the reason I come back to the thread is to ask a flight question. I want to check my bags in online before I go because it is $10 cheaper. But I bought my flight through Priceline and not my airline. My airline is spirit (yikes) can I still check in my bags?

Draft saved Draft deleted