1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I believe it had already been determined that if a contestant was saved before the top ten, eleven would go on tour. At least that's what producers said today.

And, yeah, I wouldn't pay to see an Idol live tour, either. Hell no.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I imagine crowds for the tour are a bunch on 15-year-old girls with a some bored parents who drove them there.

Even in the best year, there aren't more than two or three singers worth listening to for more than a song or two.

And I bet the audience stuck seeing those dreadful group numbers.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

I've saved my money for the upcoming concert tour. Not a penny more for an otherwise waste of gas money to get there.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Any weak interest I might have in seeing the Idol final 10 in person would be eliminated by the prospect of them doing a staged, choreographed group number.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just finished watching on the DVR.

Couldn't disagree more with the people who say Casey getting the bottom spot is an indictment of the voters. This is the third week of the main competition, and Casey has been awful two out of three. His "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was one of the worst AI performances ever, and "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" seemed like a high school talent show. He's exceedingly lucky he got the save.

And I've said it every time someone brings it up... but voting for who gets tossed instead of voting for your favorite would kill the show. It would change the tenor of the show to something overwhelmingly negative -- going from voters supporting their favorite to voters trying to crush someone's dream. It would also guarantee a Kris Allen wins every year -- the contestant who is least offensive. Love him or hate him, Adam Lambert was probably the most entertaining contestant they've had. If it was a "vote for who you hate" format he would have been gone before the top 10.

6. jr/shotglass

I didn't think "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was bad at all, certainly not one of the worst AI performances of all time. Hey, you're saying Lambert was entertaining, and some people just didn't like him. I guess that's the case with Casey.

But the voting thing is a good point. I hadn't thought of that.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I saw the AI tour the year Adam Lambert was on it.
    It was surprisingly quite enjoyable.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

American Idol 2011: What the Top 11 (redux) should and shouldn’t do
    It’s that time of the week again. Where the “American Idol” Top 11 (again) have to sing for our votes (or not if it’s anything like last week). This week, we think the theme is Elton John songs. Anyway, I have some suggestions as to what the Top 11 should sing and some other things they should consider.

This week I’m posting them in random order:

*Casey Abrams – “Take Me To The Pilot.” This is just the right kind of song for Casey to show his soul and that angry singing I still don’t understand.

*Pia Toscano – “Island Girl.” She promised last week to sing something upbeat. We’ll see if she does so. I think “Island Girl” would be perfect for her. It’s a fast fun song that always makes me want to dance. Or drive fast if its on in the car.

*Scotty McCreery – “Porch Swing in Tupelo.” If Scotty doesn’t sing this then there’s something wrong with him. It’s almost a country song. And it’s a tribute to Elvis Presley, who was one of Scotty’s childhood heroes. This group is bad at picking songs, so I won’t hold my breath.

*Paul McDonald – “Your Song.” Again, another clear choice here. “Your Song” is right in Paul’s zone. Perhaps an acoustic version with the guitar? Yes please.

*Jacob Lusk – “Rocket Man” or “Something About the Way You Look Tonight.” The former is pretty predictable, but the latter could be nice for Jacob. He could put that annoying gospel spin on it he loves so much. I hope he puts on some Elton-inspired clothing. He should embrace his flamboyance like Elton does. That would be pretty awesome.

*James Durbin – “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” seems predictable for James, but it’s his kind of song that he does well. I haven’t really seen James get out of his comfort zone yet. So maybe something slower would be better. But what that should be I’m not sure. Here’s a non-song suggestion though: LESS showboating please. People are starting to think he’s a cocky tool.

*Stefano Langone – “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me.” Don’t forget to connect with the audience Stefano. Get out of that bottom. You’ve got one of the best male voices in the game.

*Lauren Alaina – “Tiny Dancer.” It would be nice to hear her version of this song. She could put a nice youthful spin on it.

*Haley Reinhart – “I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues.” I just thought of Haley when I thought of this song. She could add her soulful spin and twang to it. Just less growling this week, please.

*Naima Adedapo – “Crocodile Rock.” I’m going with this because she’s apparently never going to do a slow song and her fans are confusing this show with “So You Can Think You Can Dance.” If it were up to me I’d force her to sing “Daniel.” I want to hear her sing something soft.

*Thia Megia – “Circle of Life.” I’d rather hear her sing “Rocket Man” or something unpredictable, but I’m just going to go ahead and pick “Circle of Life” because you know she’ll sing that. I think she has a deal with Disney we don’t know about.

http://americanidolnet.com/american-idol-2011-what-the-top-11-redux-should-and-shouldnt-do/

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I think this week is right up Paul's alley ... he needs a big week, too. I can also see Naima struggling pretty hardcore.

10. jr/shotglass

Naima is so much further from being an American Idol winner than Casey Abrams ... she can't see it with a telescope.

11. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

The bearded Cabbage Patch Kid getting a shock was the highlight of my television week. Although it was obvious he would get the save, I love his overreaction to the whole situation. Almost makes me think this thing is as predetermined as wrestling. It's great drama.

The show is going to lose me this week. I just can't see putting down $10 for an album by anyone in this group. Like the last three years, the winner is the cutest white guy because only junior high girls are voting and taking this seriously anymore.

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Scotty could be in trouble this week, I don't know if this is his forte

Draft saved Draft deleted