1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's that time of year: College coach carousel!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Mar 7, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Are you trying to piss me off on this shitty week on purpose?

CBB budgets, 2008 (most recent numbers I could find spending .9 seconds on teh google:)

24 $6,478,312 Tennessee (SEC)

69 $4,023,386 South Carolina (SEC)

Attendance, 2010:

4. Tennessee 16 games 306,680 total 19,168 avg.

30. South Carolina 16 games 191,905 total 11,990 avg.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree with you. I was surprised that they seemed to be saying the VCU coach would wait for the South Carolina job to open up rather than take the Tennessee job. Unless the Vols are facing sanctions, I would assume that's the better job.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm sure I was there, too. Hazzard was always getting into sparring matches with the writers. He was a racist who had a chip on his shoulder bigger than the redwoods.
    I remember him being pissed one day. Tommy Bonk always called him "Walter" while everybody else just said "Walt." So a pissed-off Hazzard jumpe on him: "Dammit, quit calling me Walter."
    Walter also smoked during his press gatherings ... until a TV camera showed up. He'd quickly put out the cigarette and hide the evidence.
    In that game against Wyoming, the Cowboys had a tight end-type guarding Reggie Miller. Miller could have run circles around this guy, but Hazzard did nothing to free Miller from the defense. Miller just stood on the right wing hoping the tight end would leave him alone and his teammates would pass him the ball.

4. Mizzougrad96

Good column, but I don't believe for a second that Coach K is only making $2.25 million a year.

5. Mizzougrad96

Forbes said Coach K's base salary is $2.2 million and has made up to $4 million with incentives.

That seems more like it.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Didn't Mizzou offer within $200,000 of what Arkansas did?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Tiger has made those shots, forever.

And Bob Scrabis was fouled by prototypical Hoya dirtbag in the final seconds, back in the day.

8. Mizzougrad96

It depends on which report you believe. I don't know if $2.2 mil is the final number he will sign for, but there have been stories that have had it a few hundred thousand more.

9. Mizzougrad96

This is what a good paper does when a coach leaves...

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/03/24/2749994/early-look-at-andersons-potential.html#

10. Mizzougrad96

From the Knoxville paper. It sounds like the Vols are pretty delusional about who might want the job. I don't know about Marshall, but I cannot imagine that any of the other four would even consider taking the Tennessee job.

The five coaches that were at the top of UT's list after Bruce Pearl was fired on Monday are Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon, Villanova coach Jay Wright, Alabama coach Anthony Grant, Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon and Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but somebody in the coaching community once told me that Marshall was going to interview for the Tennessee job while he was at Winthrop and the university president was late for their meeting and Marshall took it as a sign of disrespect and left.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

This list reads like a fishing trip to reel in guys who might be momentarily disenfranchised with their programs: two who lost NCAA games to underseeds, one whose team crapped its pants the last month of the season and two NIT bids.

But only two of those names strike me as truly absurd: Wright and Dixon. It would be stunning if either of them even sniffed this thing. Dixon wouldn't talk to Arizona but has eyes for Tennessee? Wright leaving Villanova would be akin to divorcing your super-hot wife because she cooked a bad meal.

I could see Turgeon kicking the tires, Grant's not going to move laterally (at best) and they can do better than Marshall.

The hire of Dooley was boring, but perhaps the right move down the road. Same motif could produce Rick Byrd.

Draft saved Draft deleted