1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP - photographer Brian Lanker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Mar 15, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That Fridge photo is wonderful. All of these are great, but that one stands out.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, I saw Rick Barry as I'd never seen him before...The only way I ever picture him is shooting (and nearly always making) his underhand-style, back-spinning free throws.

Loved the Natalie Coughlin swim shot, and also the one of Rickey Henderson (er, the base, and his hands...).

The photos of Bill Russell, Dr. J and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar seem perfect for them, as well, and the one of Paulina Porizkova is classic SI swim suit stuff.

He did seem to have an affinity for the pensive-portrait shots, though, didn't he?

Great tribute to Brian and his work.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

1985 was a great, great year for the swimsuit edition. Compelling work.

Jack and Magic is my favorite in that collection.

Soooo 1980s.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't the Jack and Magic cover the one that never ran (as a cover). I seem to remember it being an inside pic that had an explanation of why they didn't run it as the cover. Maybe it was when the Royals won the series.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Great stuff in that gallery. And although a departure from the other stuff, I couldn't help but love the Katzenmoyer photo -- perfect placement of the flying ref.

Also unintentionally hilarious is the one of Wilt Chamberlain in his bed, considering the claims he would make in his future autobiography.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good to see you back Cowbell... Feel free to stick around. :D

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Cowbell only posts in RIP threads now. Look for his work next in the Drew Hill thread.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Brian was able to nail a swimsuit model or two.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted