1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9.0 quake, tsunami strike Japan; fourth reactor on fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Mar 11, 2011.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Re: 8.9 quake, tsunami strike Japan; tsunami watch for Hawaii

Not good, not good at all.

The situation at the nuclear reactor at Fukushima seems to be worsening. Japanese authorities are now to release radioactive vapour to ease pressure, AP news agency reports. Engineers are trying to fix the cooling system to the main reactor, damaged in the quake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

L.A. Times: Significant damage in Northern California.

A tsunami from the devastating Japan earthquake hit the coast of California this morning, causing significant damage in Crescent City, Santa Cruz and other parts of Northern California. There were no reports of major damage or flooding in Southern California.

Crescent City, site of a deadly tsunami four decades ago, appears to be particularly hard hit, with residents reporting that about three dozen boats were "crushed" in the harbor and that surging waters significantly damaged or destroyed most of the docks. In Santa Cruz, waves jostled boats and damaged docks.

Officials said there is potential for continued unusual ocean tides along the coast for the next few hours, and beaches will remain closed.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Obviously, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I'm glad this happened in Japan, and not in, say, East Africa (or Indonesia, for that matter). I think the Japanese would be about as well-equipped as anyone physically, financially and emotionally to deal with a disaster such as this.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Oh for fuck's sake.

For a decade, I have railed about these dopey cable news stations here, but this is just the lowest.

Who the fuck is Rick Sanchez?

Embarrassing.....

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Breaking news report on yahoo says central Japan was just rocked by a 6.6 earthquake.
    Jesus.
    And a friend on Facebook says he was watching CNN earlier and the anchor made a Godzilla joke during the earthquake coverage.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If somebody ran for President promising to make cable news illegal, he or she would get my vote, and I'm betting millions more, too.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not on this board. Its always sickened me how many of the members here watch these shows religiously. Pablum for idiots.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One reason, a big reason, I pay for maximum cable service is BBC World.

10. MileHigh

After an 8.9, you're going to get aftershocks in the low to mid-6s. Lots of them. I've probably gotten at least 50 USGA alerts of aftershocks measuring 5.5 and higher.

11. MileHigh

One feared dead, four swept to sea in Crescent City.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/03/crescent-city-harbor-destroyed-people-swept-into-sea.html

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Did someone say Rick Sanchez bashing?

Always hilarious. Always.

Draft saved Draft deleted