1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indianapolis Star prep reporter opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jim lefko, Feb 25, 2011.

1. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

Position: Sports reporter

THE JOB: The Indianapolis Star seeks a full-time reporter to provide sports content for three of our community sections, cover a variety of high school events for main sports, produce enterprise stories and assist on occasional big events (Indy 500, Brickyard 400, NCAA events, etc.). Digital responsibilities include blogging, tweeting, video, et. al. Hours may vary, with some nights and weekends required.

QUALIFICATIONS: Candidate should have at least 3 years of newspaper experience. Familiarity with high school sports preferred. Strong reporting and writing skills are required, with organizational and planning skills also important. Creativity and ability to work well with others, edit copy, coordinate correspondents and generate content reaching beyond traditional sports readers are staples.

START DATE: April 4.

WHAT TO DO: If interested, contact Jim Lefko, Senior Editor/Sports
    jim.lefko@indystar.com

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Who left? Their prep staff had been unchanged for a while, if memory serves.

Like Jim said, lots of good opportunities outside preps, including next year's Super Bowl in Indy. Hopefully.

3. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

This is a great job.

4. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

I had no plans of applying for jobs considering I just took one three months ago but this is one of two or three that I will always apply for. I grew up West Lafayette, Ind. Lefko was the editor there before being promoted to the Indy Star. My father was a high school coach at the big school in town and did some freelance stuff for the newspaper when Lefko was there so they know each other (not very well though). I talked to him a couple of years ago about an internship. I ended up taking an internship with the Pacers but this is one of the papers that I always thought I would like to work for.

I do feel a bit guilty about applying for a job three months into a new gig but you don't pass on dreams when the opportunity comes.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

If I was still looking to move, I'd be all over this one...good opportunity for someone out there. Good luck, all

6. zhbuchanan

zhbuchanan New Member

April 1st is reallllly soon.

7. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

And?

8. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

How much of this position is copy editing?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

More importantly, what about job security?

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

What is job security?

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I look at it this way. Yes, it's Gannett, but they're letting Indy advertise for these jobs. I applied for the ASE preps position a while back so I'm pretty sure Jim still has my stuff on file. Definitely interested in this job too. I love Indianapolis.

12. zhbuchanan

zhbuchanan New Member

And, since I'm in a similar situation to you, that's really soon to pick up and move across the country. I do feel some sense of duty to my current paper

Draft saved Draft deleted