1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports writer, fayetteville, Ark.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Northwest Arkansas Newspapers seeks a sports reporter who has a passion to write compelling enterprise, breaking news, features and columns; Tweet, blog and produce multimedia as part of an eight-person sports department that serves four local, daily newspapers. Applicants should have two years daily sports reporting experience, a degree in journalism or related field and a working knowledge of Associated Press style. This person works from our Fayetteville office and must be able to work nights and weekends.

Northwest Arkansas has a population of approximately 350,000 and is located in the beautiful Ozark Mountains. Home to Wal-Mart, Tyson and other business giants, the area is one of the fastest growing in the region. This area is known to be great for anyone who enjoys outdoor sports. The successful applicant must have good driving record and valid driver’s license. We offer a competitive salary and a full benefits package.

Send resume and examples of work to:

Sports Writing Position

Northwest Arkansas Newspapers

2560 No. Lowell Road

P. O. Box 7, Springdale, AR 72765

OR

E-mail: jobs@nwaonline.com (list job title in subject line)

EOE - Drug Screen Required

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

A lot of great folks at this publication that I worked with in college.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm missing something here. Does this involve some Pig coverage or is it primarily preps or true GA?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My guess is preps. This sounds like a bottom-rung position and my impression is they generally don't put newbies on the Razorbacks.

Hope Chip can come on here and provide details.

5. Matt Stephens

Likely preps, but there's some good football in the area.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

NWA occasionally produces a Gatorade player of the year who ends up fleeing the state, riding the bench at USC and getting prematurely arrested for selling prescription drugs online.

7. Matt Stephens

Look at the guys from just 2006 and 2007:

Mitch Mustain (yes, total bust)
    Lee Ziemba
    Damian Williams
    Andrew Norman
    Ben Cleveland
    Alex Tejada
    Bartley Webb

8. ChipSouza

ChipSouza Member

This is a preps position with little to no UA coverage other than the occasional local player feach. The position that is open is the Fayetteville High beat and works out of the NWA Times office. Feel free to shoot me a PM or e-mail with questions.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Mitch Mustain is no Gary Brashears.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I don't know much of the writing crew at the paper, but a lot of good people on the desk. And Chip's a good guy. Great place to live, too.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Neither one is a Peanut Adams. :)

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If you have an opinion of Fayetteville but have never been there, chances are good you are completely wrong. Great town.

Draft saved Draft deleted