1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NFL Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Running NFL Offseason Thread

I don't think any team is willing to give up what it would take to get Kolb. I'd give up a late No. 1 or a No. 2, but nothing beyond that. Everything I read says the Eagles want a lot more than that.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bengals apparently have no interest in trading Palmer, which I can understand. Don't see where he has a leg to stand on. You signed a contract, your team isn't very good... fine, work to get better like everyone else instead of whining to get out. If you REALLY don't want to play there, fine, retire.

You were a No. 1 draft pick (which usually means going to a bad team) and signed a million-dollar contract. Too bad all of us can't have it so bad.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This argument again? Just because he makes a lot of money he can't ever complain about anything? Bullshit.

The team is a mess and ownership has no interest in changing the way they do things. Is Palmer part of the problem? I think so. I think it would be best for both sides if he went elsewhere at this point. He sees that, but the Bengals don't.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Of course, if the Bengals wanted to unkload his non-guaranteed contract they would do that in a heartbeat and nobody would be complaining about another greedy fuck owner chopping a player's head off to save a few million.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The team isn't that f-ed up. They went undefeated in their division with a cast of nobodies two seasons ago.

The guys on one Bengals board are proposing a three-team trade between Cincinnati, San Francisco and Philadelphia. The 49ers get Palmer, Bengals get Kolb and Eagles get San Francisco's first-rounder. Maybe too simple, but interesting.

6. outofplace

Then they managed to suck with the pretty much the same group the next year.

That is an interesting idea. I just don't get all of the love for Kolb. Why is he worth a first-rounder?

7. outofplace

So, when a big-revenue team in MLB takes advantage of the system to buy a championship, they are playing by the rules, but when an NFL team cuts loose a player because it can, it's a bad thing. Can you smell the hypocrisy? I sure can.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Where did I mention baseball? Where did I say it was a bad thing? I was saying people will complain about a millionaire player whining but not about billionaire owners cutting said player to save a few million.

Read better please.

9. outofplace

I read it just fine, but context matters, as does your history as a poster.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm just saying the Bengals have no reason to trade their best player unless they get an offer they feel benefits them.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Brown's milking the franchise. He knows being really good would cost him real money. I'm amazed Cincy fans continue to put up with the charade.

Not altogher sympathetic to Palmer. He didn't mind being the house pet, but now that he sees the full lay of the land, he wants to leave. Too bad for him that his injuries -- and the multiple long-term Bengal flaws -- make him virtually impossible to evaluate in a way fully favoreable to CP.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Kolb is a coach's son already fluent in a QB-friendly system. Jon Gruden's little brother just got the job running the Bengals offense. Kolb might not be as good as Schaub but his situation is comparable to that (beyond both backing up the dog electrocutor.)

Draft saved Draft deleted