1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul Haggis vs. the Church of Scientology

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same here. Just finished it. That was an incredibly impressive reporting job. I kind of wanted to put it down, because I have so many other things I should have been doing. Now on Youtube looking at clips of Davis and Miscavage. Just creepy.

2. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

I read Lawrence Wright's 'The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11' --a fantastic and fascinating book, but very time-consuming. It was not an easy read but the depth of reporting was incredible.

I am about a 1/4 into the Scientology story.

3. Kermit McManus

Kermit McManus New Member

I like story. Many brainpowers went into the making. I have subscription to all the tight maga-zines.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'll have to read that one. I'm not afraid of long. I read the entire 9/11 report. Sounds great.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Looming Tower is -- and this is not hyperbole -- one of the best books written in the last decade.

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

The book won a Pulitzer. Amazing historical account that goes back decades.

When I said time-consuming, it wasn't so much because of length, though it is a long book. It's because there is so much information to process. It's complex and layered. I spent a lot of time going back to previous chapters to look up names and how people were connected or to revisit a chapter earlier in the book that was important to a chapter later in the book. It is not a book for the beach, which is exactly where I brought it after buying it. My wife gives me grief to this day. Instead of Elmore Leonard or Michael Chabon, I tried to read 'The Looming Tower' oceanside. It's not a light, relaxing read.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Thank you for posting this. I finally got around to reading it. Fascinating stuff.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have been Catholic from birth. Not once am I aware of a fellow Catholic pestering someone about condom use.

Oh, and Lawrence Wright is incredible. He and Jon Lee Anderson may be the best 1-2 punch working at any magazine.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I've been Catholic from birth too Dick. Well, technically since baptism, I suppose, and probably not anymore since I've been to church three times in about 10 years. But yes, we've had discussions with Catholics who have talked about how you should not use condoms, and are quite adamant about it. I know, it's hard to believe that in a religion that has more than a billion followers - and is so sexually liberal that there are still debates about whether it's okay to use condoms to fight AIDS, much less use them to keep babies from being conceived - there are some who get worked up about things that haven't been discussed between you or the Catholics you know.

And I agree with you about Wright and Anderson.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I found it a quicker read than Wright Thompson.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'm denying that this thread ever took place

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Anybody here anything about fallout from this? I thought it would be a bigger deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted