1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter/copy editor--Cape Cod Times (Hyannis, MA)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JimmyHoward33, Feb 13, 2011.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

From journalismjobs.com (http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1232543)

Company: Cape Cod Times
    Position:
    Seeking Sports Reporter/Copy Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    March 18, 2011
    Job ID: 1232543

Description:

The Cape Cod Times is seeking a self-motivated and creative person to join an award-winning sports staff. Energy, enthusiasm and a passion for quality and integrity are a must. The successful candidate must be able to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously and work efficiently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Versatility is also a must; this position will require strong reporting/feature writing and sports desk editing skills. Familiarity with the Web and digital media would be an asset.

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:

--Strong news judgment and reporting skills

--Story development and feature writing

--Sports desk copy editing; responsibilities include editing local and wire copy, headline writing, collecting results and information from local events and writing stories

--Assist the online sports supervisor to keep Web site current and lively

--Work effectively as a team member

--Exemplify superior internal and external customer service at all times

EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE:

College degree or equivalent experience required; daily newspaper experience as a sport reporter essential; experience on a sports copy desk and in digital media is preferred.

Send a cover letter and resumé with references, along with at least five work samples, to:

Bill Higgins, Sports Editor

Cape Cod Times

319 Main Street

Hyannis, Mass, 02601

e-mail: bhiggins@capecodonline.com

Please, no phone calls

DEADLINE: March 11, 2011

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I've heard cost of living is cheap.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Sarcasm?

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Jeez, man, he used the sarcasm font and everything. :D

5. Matt Stephens

LOL my bad, I haven't learned the SJ color codes yet.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not horrible in the off-season. I've seen condos down there for less than $100K, which for the area is not shabby. The main issue might be night life between Labor Day and Memorial Day. It can be dead down there in February.

7. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

Cape Cod Baseball League, Cape Cod Baseball League, Cape Cod Baseball League.

I'd be there in a half of a second in a perfect world.

8. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Believe it or not, lotta "For Sale" signs on the Cape right now. How's the crime rate in Hyannis these days?

9. printdust

printdust New Member

And your salary will be cheap too, about $20,000. And that's not in blue print, so take it at its worth.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Uh, no. Last time they had an opening (around Nov. 2009), salary started at $35,000.

11. Matt Stephens

I was going to say, with its circulation, you'd think the salary would be higher than low 20s.

12. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

Great folks to work with up there. It's been a few years since I interned there, so I'm sure there are some new faces, but I learned a lot from Bill and the whole group that summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted