1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter -- The Jefferson City (Mo.) News Tribune,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Feb 12, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Jefferson City, Mo., News Tribune is looking for a sports reporter with a passion for covering prep sports and a desire to work in a great team environment. There’s a high interest in sports in Mid-Missouri, with 27 high schools in our coverage area, as well as a Division II university and the University of Missouri about 30 minutes away. We’re looking for someone who loves to report, write and has design skills. If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, work samples and references to Managing Editor Gary Castor at gary@newstribune.com by Feb. 28.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1232665

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Some really good prep teams there with Jeff City High and Helias.

Jeff City wouldn't be my first choice of places to live, but it's not bad, and you're 30 minutes from Columbia and a couple hours from St. Louis and Kansas City. The Lake of the Ozarks is pretty close for a fun time in the summer, too.

I've heard the quality of the newspaper has improved pretty dramatically under new management.

I would have to imagine this is a pretty solid job.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So...a couple hours from Nick Punto? Hmmmmmm.....

4. T. Petty

T. Petty New Member

This sports guy approves of Gary Castor.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It didn't look like it from the Web site, but does the News Tribune cover Mizzou at all? Being so close, and the state capitol, you'd think, but I wasn't sure

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

They didn't do much with Mizzou when I was in school, but that's been a few years. I would think, at the least, there would be an opportunity to cover the Tigers some on your own time. But I could be wrong.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Actually, I'm told that once this position is filled, the News Tribune intends to cover Mizzou home games for football and men's basketball, as well as write midweek features, notebooks, etc.

It's a four-person sports staff, by the way. Not bad for a paper of that size (17K daily/20K Sunday, according to ABC).

8. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

This has been posted again on J-Jobs

-------------

Company: Jefferson City News Tribune
    Position: Seeking sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: September 16, 2011
    Job ID: 1232665

Description:
    In almost any sport, speed can make the difference between winning and losing. It’s no different in this job search for a sports reporter for the Jefferson City News Tribune. We have an immediate opening for a reporter to cover high school sports in Missouri’s Capital City. There’s a high interest in sports in Mid-Missouri, with 27 high schools in our coverage area, as well as a Division II university and the University of Missouri about 30 minutes away. We’re looking for someone who loves to report, write and has design skills. If interested, drop us an e-mail immediately. The job search ends Aug. 26. Send a cover letter, resume, work samples and references to Managing Editor Gary Castor at gary@newstribune.com.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The way that's written is noteworthy.

"Cover high school sports, and we're near the UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI!!!!!!!!!"

Someone who reads it too quickly might get the wrong idea.

27 high schools? How big is the coverage area?

Anyway, it's not exactly a particularly exciting part of the state of Missouri, but the salary and newspaper's size indicate a very nice opportunity for a youngster just starting out. And Columbia is indeed just 30 minutes away.

10. nmsports

nmsports Member

$20-$25K?

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Anyone know who left?

That would seem to me to be a fairly stable job, at a small- to mid-sized, family-owned paper without much competition and a heavy focus on local sports. I'd rather be there than some bigger, chain-owned place where the specter of layoffs is constantly hanging over everyone's head. I think the cost of living is fairly reasonable, too.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed. Tom Rackers leave? I'll admit I didn't give the website a look. Tom's a hell of a good guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted