1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The big difference between her and Trish Stratus is that Trish was bursting with personality. Perhaps Maryse has it in her, but I'm not seeing it based on what she's shown. She probably will be a face at some point, because pretty much all the women play both sides at some point (as the Bella Twins have demonstrated by going heel), but their personalities don't always match with the stated character (as the Bella Twins have demonstrated by going heel)

2. XXXX

XXXX Member

[​IMG]

One of my buddies sent me this photo saying that he got it from someone "in the know". Don't know if its true or not, but with it being in Atlanta, it would be HUGE! I certainley would love to see the build to this.

3. Mystery Meat II

Showing a red X, but if it's that WM poster of Sting holding a playing card with the Undertaker on it and the word "streak" on either side, I'm willing to bet that its a photoshop.

According to PWTorch, WWE is promoting Undertaker's return on the Feb. 21 edition of Raw in the local ads in California. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the 2 21 11 vignette is for Taker, since they're seeming to already acknowledge it. So that could be Sting, and this could be a build to Sting vs. Taker. Or it could be Hornswoggle's new role, who knows?

4. XXXX

XXXX Member

Yea, thats exactly what its supposed to be (side note: how the hell do you upload a photo? i thought i could do it, but just keep getting the x of death). I thought it was a photoshop, but he is pretty adament about it. ALthough, he has been known to get fooled every now and then.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Finally caught all of Raw and saw that vignette. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a hedge of some sort - If the WWE can guarantee Sting, then it becomes the promo for goth Sting to come in. If they can't, then it's for the Undertaker, or maybe some debuting guy.

Sting vs. Taker would be huge. I think that's a match that has the potential to be really special even if the in-ring action isn't that great. Hopefully, McMahon would just copy Bischoff's old playbook, and keep Sting off TV as much as possible so that people would be forced to buy the PPV.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Here's the world according to Meltzer on the subject:

As noted on the front page, 22111 was a reference to Undertaker's return at the Fresno Raw on February 21st. Of course, this far out that could always change if, for example, they signed Sting. But as of last night, based on localized commercials for the event, it was planned to be Taker's return. WWE has since had those videos pulled.

So Sting is at least in conversations, as is the Rock and Jericho both.

7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Great photos. I saw Sheamus at a house show in Boise a few years back, right before he debuted on ECW. I thought he was carved out of mozzarella.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I count at least three double entendres in this post. :D

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I really, really, really, really hope WWE signs Sting, even as old as he is. I always wanted to see Sting take on Undertaker, and thought we might get that after WCW folded. But Sting didn't sign with Vince, and it's now almost been a decade since the Invasion angle.

If this happens at Mania, it'll be a huge mark-out moment for me.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Sting does sign with WWE, does he go into the hall of fame too?
    As of right now he shouldn't be there. But if he's actually in WWE, and they're going with a WCW theme for the HOF inductions, it'd be interesting to see if they roll with it. Maybe put him and Undertaker in and do a "Living Legends" match.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Interesting thing is, for years, Sting has said that he would never join the WWE because, as a born-again Christian, he was offended by their raunchy storylines. So, if he does end up coming in, ironically enough, we'll be able to thank their switch to the PG rating.

Either way, outside of Cena, Orton (even though he lost to Taker five, six years ago?) and maybe Barrett if they're really going to push him to the tippy-top, the WWE doesn't really have a good WM opponent for Taker that would intrigue the audience. The streak has really become one of the major storylines of WM, and the WWE needs a guy that would have some intrigue as in, "Can this guy really be the guy that can beat Undertaker at WM?"

Sting fits that bill.

12. Mystery Meat II

Sheamus would be that guy, but not the way he's been booked the last few months. If Taker's around in 2012, that might be where you end the streak. Swagger fits in that category too, as he's following the Angle career arc and will eventually evolve into a badass shooter and grappler (I hope). Barrett would be a possibility. Maybe even Mason Ryan, depending on how well he evolves.

Sting is intriguing, but I don't think anyone buys him being at Undertaker's level at this point in his career. 1996, sure. 2011, not as much. Plus does any smart fan really think they'd sacrifice the streak on a 50-year-old doing a one shot?

Safest thing would be to put Taker over Kane, since he hasn't gotten his revenge for Kane's attacks from last year. But that doesn't appear to be the route they're taking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.