1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rob Neyer to SB Nation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by akneeland, Feb 1, 2011.

1. akneeland

akneeland New Member

Color me as one who didn't exactly see this coming...

http://twitter.com/sbnation/status/32454483569025024

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2011/2/1/1967537/rob-neyer-joins-sb-nation-becomes-part-of-us-not-them

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is he trying to be ironic here? Or is he serious?

I can't get through the day without scribbling down a brilliant sentence or delightful word in a thick journal that's always close at hand.

3. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

Great move for SB Nation. Bottom line.

4. PaulS

PaulS Member

I think Neyer says he writes down "brilliant" sentences from other people. Not his. That's the way I read it.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Does he turn into a good writer instead of a good analyst just by moving his blog to a different place?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

On the heels of the AOL FanHouse bombshell, a question: Is there something about SB Nation that makes their ultimate success more likely than Fanhouse's? It looks like they are still relying on funding, which is great in that they can get it but maybe not so great in that this kind of platform should probably be standing on its own legs after so many years. I know SB Nation merges lower-tier bloggers with now high-brow content. But I don't see it being anywhere near as good as Fanhouse, and we all know how that went.

7. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

I think Fanhouse and SB Nation are hard to compare. Fanhouse relied on one main site and a core of contributors to live. SB Nation relies on its nearly 300 blogs to be successful. While SBNation.com and its regional sites are growing, the blogs are still its legs.

The investors, of course, are huge and continue to roll in. SB Nation is at the top because of its leadership. Jim Bankoff has done a wonderful job steering the company in the right direction.

8. LongTimeListener

Thanks for the answer, Jim!

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Taking the company in the right direction = capitalizing on tons of free content that Joe Bloggers provide.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

NEYER!

11. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

I know you're kidding, but for the record that wasn't Jim, since we were all sitting in our conference room while that message was posted.

Secondly, there were many things written back when SB Nation got the C round of funding ... this provides a nice sampling:

http://blogswithballs.com/2010/11/what-theyre-saying-about-sb-nations-latest-round-of-funding/

Finally, fwiw ... SB Nation pays its writers and bloggers. So there there's no "tons of free content" provided by Joe Bloggers.

12. LongTimeListener

Thanks for the reply, John. If I may be so bold, since you're part of the business ...

--Do you pay your bloggers more or less than the 2011 poverty rate of $10,890 for a single person?

--SB Nation is eight years old (based on the founding of A's Nation) and has been getting funding for more than two years now. What are the site's revenues? When do you expect to make a profit? And are you just crossing your fingers hoping the Comcast partnership creates a golden parachute for your site now that Comcast owns NBC?

EDIT: I put no worthin the supposed $90 million "valuation," as those have been shown to bear utterly no relationship to the real world wen assessing media sites.

Draft saved Draft deleted