1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter -- Albany (Ga.) Herald,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jan 24, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Albany Herald, a daily newspaper located in Southwest Georgia, has an opening for an energetic, experienced and well-rounded sportswriter. The position will focus heavily on local high school and local college sports. Duties include game coverage, feature and enterprise writing, column writing, and some photography/videography and copy editing. Applicants should be familiar or able to learn InDesign. The position will primarily focus on writing and reporting four days a week, but will also require helping with copy editing and with designing and laying out the sports section, usually one day a week. Applicants should not be rigid in thinking of a traditional 24-hour news cycle and should embrace practices such as blogs and Web-posting breaking news. You must have access to dependable transportation and maintain company-required level of auto insurance coverage.

To apply, send a letter, your resume, five of your best clips representing the scope of your ability, and three references to Danny Aller, sports editor, The Albany Herald, P.O. Box 48, Albany, Ga. 31702, or submit the items via e-mail to danny.aller@albanyherald.com.

Pre-employment drug screening and background checks required.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=711978

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

This paper is one of the big mysteries of this business. They have a pretty good niche but is always looking for help.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Drip,

I think part of that is they do a good job so the talent gets to move elsewhere. Danny Shirley in Macon is a prime example (though a don't know how much a move up Macon is anymore)

The other part is it's Albany. I haven't been there I a while but it isn't easily accessible and is isolated from the bigger cities in the state.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm familiar with the situation in Albany on a few fronts. I know there has been some turmoil there. Shirley is a good guy and did a good job when he was in Albany.

5. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Yes ... turmoil. As in, Danny Aller isn't exactly a peach to work for, according to several.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/77221/

6. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Damn right about that. Drove right through Albany once. To this day, I don't know how the hell I ended up there. You're driving along through stop-sign hamlets and farms, then this wannabe-city rises from the west-Georgia dust like a mirage. It's really rather odd.

If you like being in a sort-of, "Can't get there from here" type of city, Albany's for you. It's not Podunk. You will have the customary fast-food options and such. But if you want to go ... well, anywhere else in the world, plan for some country drivin' for awhile.

7. Shifty,
    The funny thing is the plan for I-75 was for it to run from Atlanta, to Macon to Tallahassee (through Albany). But the Albany leaders didn't want it.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

And they've been regretting it ever since.

9. Indeed.
    That said, I enjoyed living there and working there (I must have, since I went back after a stint as a writer to be the sports editor). But the second time I was also married, and my wife's parents live there, so I can understand why people take shots at the town even if they're young and single.
    But we were lucky to have good writers come through (they made me look good) and I worked for good people who were good to me and helped my career, and many of them are still there.

10. SElliott4

SElliott4 New Member

Has anyone heard anything about this opening?

11. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

That's interesting, Daniel. I actually didn't know that. Think of where Albany could be as a city if they had done that. I bet it could have attracted some good businesses and such, being just a couple hours from Atlanta and along a major interstate.

Oh, and I've also heard very good things about the work you did down there. I wouldn't want to live there, but I'd certainly not knock anyone else's choice to do so. Hope things are well with you now.

12. Thanks. I really enjoyed my time down there (must have to go twice), but Macon was a good move for me and my wife and kids.
    Even with our staff reductions (three jobs lost since I took over), Macon is a good spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted