1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chris Jones on Jason Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is all very true.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No, dools, what happened was Lynch offered fair comment after people got pissed about the pot shots he and Boom were taking.

But whatever. I'm tired of talking about that thread.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When he was alive, a lot of people thought of Wiley (at least toward the end during his ESPN stint, which many found horrible) as more provocateur than journalist.

Since he died, you don't hear that opinion as much. Death has a way of tempering past criticisms.

For what it's worth, don't make any assumptions about me, because I posted that. I thought Wiley could be fantastic. And I thought he sometimes missed the mark terribly. On balance, though, I thought that when he was at his best, he was amazing.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Jones responds to a young writer's comment in the "Being a pro" post ...

http://sonofboldventure.blogspot.com/2011/01/lesters-dilemma.html

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And have a happy Stars in the Sky Day

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

DD, and you know I respect you. ... But this site is what you make of it. I take boat loads of grief about some of my posts, for example. On occasion I can be thin skinned when I feel like I am getting piled on, or I am just having a bad day. But when I feel passionate enough about a discussion, I try to carry on with it through the noise and personal stuff -- and usually there are at least handful of people involved and engaging each other, so I can feel like it is not a loss and actually is worthwhile.

People try to shout others down on here. They can be mean spirited. They can just be dicks. Who cares?

A site like this is only what you personally make of it.

I have always appreciated the fact that you are so passionate about the craft of writing that you often take the time to post detailed insights and reflections. I also love the fact that you have a lighter side, and can be one of the wittiest people on here. Your wit, though, to some others, might sometimes come off as you not respecting a thread enough -- and derailing it the way you get upset about other threads that you just pointed out you feel get derailed too much.

I'd love it if you could find it within yourself to drown out the noise and post seriously about the things that matter to you. It does make a difference.

It takes the participants here to make the site into what they want it to be. You have as much to offer as anyone here. So rather than being beaten down, the way you just sounded, why not persevere and keep starting those types of threads you think are worthwhile? You're not going to get rid of idiotic or condescending people. And they will still be here being pains in the ass.

But if you can drown them out -- even put them on ignore if you have to -- you'll definitely find others who care as much about writing and discussing and analyzing it, as you do. And those are the people worth doing it for. You just concentrate on them.

If you make enough of a habit of it, you might also have a real effect in changing the tenor of the board. I'd love to see you take on that challenge because I know you and know you have a thick enough skin and might be able to push through and add a lot that benefits others. It's what jgmacg (or whatever the letters were) used to do. And I really appreciated him for it. I miss him too. As am aside, I also have never bitched about him leaving. It was his choice. Perhaps he lost his appreciation for the site. Perhaps there were work reasons that dictated it. As Moddy frequently says, it's a big ole internet. If you like it here, great. If you don't, no one is twisting your arm. For me, there have always been others behind when people (some I liked and some who annoyed me) leave, who make the site worth it to me.

I know you like it here, DD. And rather than getting frustrated, the way you expressed it, I know there is a lot someone like you can do to shape the board into what he wants it to be. I'd love to see that.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Oh my - the things you carry. Let them go.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Boom, as the Joker once said to Batman, I think you and I are destined to do this forever. But just so we're clear, it's you who loves to watch the world burn.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

DD I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship :'(

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

We occasionally discuss what we imagine other members look like. From now on, Jersey_Guy shall be Archibald MacLeish,

[​IMG]

who was prevented by bad timing from asserting that a blogpost should not mean, but be.

11. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I kinda like that.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A mile above my head, but quality nonetheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.