1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by phoenixrising08, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phoenixrising08

phoenixrising08 New Member

Company: The Washington Times
    Position: Seeking Sports Editor in D.C.
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: February 23, 2011
    Job ID: 1226933

The Washington Times is seeking an experienced, versatile and creative editor to oversee the relaunch of its sports coverage. The ideal candidate will have the acumen to drive the reporting team past game-centric stories to provide unique content with a magazine-style flair to the multimedia organization's various platforms — website, newspaper and radio.

This person must have a strong editing background and the desire to work with reporters, columnists, photographers and editors to engage readers with an entertaining and informative take on professional sports and collegiate teams, locally and nationally.

The editor will oversee the recruitment of a diverse team of seasoned reporters, editors and energetic writers.

Requirements include a bachelor's degree, strong communications skills and at least five years of journalism experience. Please email resumes and clips to careers@washingtontimes.com.

--------------------------------
    I don't know anything about it, just saw it, figured you guys would like to as well.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

How many sports reporters do they have? There's a lot of AP content on the website with just two guys -- Dan Gelston and Alan Robinson -- and no baseball reporter. A recent move by the Nationals was reported by the AP.

3. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hmmmmmmm.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good to see SOMEONE willing to make hires.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Thoughts on the "Click-2-Listen" feature? (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jan/18/meszaros-ot-goal-lifts-flyers-past-caps-3-2/?page=1)

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Will they travel again? Are they going to be more like the Examiner or more along the lines of their old product? How much of a say would the new SE have in that?

8. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Are they going to go after any of the former staff?

If not, I vote for Moddy.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm out of the loop. I didn't even realize the paper was doing sports again.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One more reason why you are my favorite horse ever.

I always liked the work the paper did. Lots of questions to be answered - but this could be a very good and very interesting job.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I just got off the horn with a former staffer. He said he'd never go back but wouldn't discourage anyone else from going after a job with the Times.

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

The main question you'd face is you'd have to move to NoVa, no? Wouldn't the commute from where you are be death?

And I've also spoken with a former staffer about this. The feeling is what Drip's source conveyed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.