1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cam Newton going pro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nice job defending your beloved using the race card. I don't appreciate it.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yes, because it's impossible that I could hold this differing opinion of a player -- one who neither of us really know -- without being a fanboy cheerleader. Grow up.

I don't give a shit if Auburn wins another game or if Cam Newton ever plays again. I just hate to see people continue to pile on these kids, especially using idiotic stereotypes to do so, when the absolute worst the players might do is take money from people perfectly willing to give it to them.

It's stupid, and very often the assumptions made about them are harmful and not very well informed.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

1. We both know that's not true.

2. You're way out of line accusing me of racism.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I really thought everybody realized he left Florida before they kicked him out because of academic issues. Failing? No. Cheating? Yes.

Could anybody prove it? No. But think about it logically.

I'll totally give him the benefit of the doubt on the laptop. But even if it wasn't legit, we all know he wouldn't have gotten jack in the way of punishment from Urban ... the same dude who handed out only a single-digit game suspension to a dude who texts a girl and says, "It's time to die."

Now, back to logical thinking.

Why in the hell would somebody take off to JUCO unless you HAD to take off to JUCO. Don't give me the Tebow crap. What's playing one year against lesser competition going to get you? Nothing.

Why didn't Florida pursue him after he'd played at Blinn if all he'd done was a laptop mixup?

Maybe because he had to get the dell outta hodge for the one thing that Urban couldn't just slap him on the wrist for: Going in front of a student conduct committee.

If he'd stuck around until that time, he faced possible expulsion. And once you're shouldered with that, getting in anywhere is going to be tough, if not impossible.

And only the stupid questioned whether or not "he made good grades." What was questioned was how he arrived at those grades.

And when transferring, all that can be put on that transcript is grades.

As convoluted as my writing can be at 4 a.m., that's a pretty logical reason to GTFO.

I'll say this: $10 says vacant will be awarded another title and they'll take back Cam's Heisman before OJ finds the real killers.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anonymous folks: I refer you to the title of this thread. Newton's scholarship is no longer at issue. The only relevant question is "Can he play?"

6. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

So are you saying they should have quit digging into Reggie Bush's past after he was drafted?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I cannot understand why anybody cares about NCAA rules in the slightest. I assume all schools and athletes violate them when it's in their interests to do so, which is practically all the time, and it doesn't bother me.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I care about the NCAA rules for the athletes who get caught violating them get punished and made to look like sinners while the schools and the administrators get a slap on the wrist.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

A lot of people here are lucky that Jay Cutler is not black.

Draft saved Draft deleted