1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News/AOL Fanhouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what's happening here or what will happen to us but I need to say this right here: Scott Ridge has been an outstanding boss from my perspective. Just terrific. Gives you a job to do and trusts you do to it. I'd jump off a bridge for the guy, take a bullet for him.

2. Larry Holder

Larry Holder New Member

This makes me want to barf. Really feel for everyone.

3. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

My heart goes out to Moddy, who is one of the good guys; Ridge is a pro. However, Fanhouse was doomed when AOL Patch launched. Patch is sucking AOL dry. You just cannot keep bleeding money throughout the enterprise, and Fanhouse, despite the great work of Moddy and others, was not making any money. So exit Ridge -- and enter Garry Howard, who was literally skewered on this site when he got The Sporting News job. Now he becomes one of the most powerful people in sports journalism.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I second what Moddy said about Scott Ridge. Total pro. Class act.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

FanHouse is/was a VERY fine product. Which means, naturally, that it is in line to be spiked by AOL.

Never met Scott Ridge, but knowing that he employed Moddy -- one of the true PROS in this business -- and gave him the reins to build FanHouse into a powerhouse, is enough for me.

I hope all involved land on their feet. I fear that they won't. Yet another craptacular day in the business.

rb

6. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

A part of my job requires me to spend some time on Yahoo Sports, Fanhouse, and ESPN.com. I've found Fanhouse to be my favorite of those three, because it provides the most unique content of the three sites. Like others have said, the site was doing a bang-up job. Very sorry to all affected.

7. Simon

Simon Active Member

It won't anymore if they're gutting the entire staff. It's a horse that's run its last race and is being shot on the track.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This can't be a good feeling if you are a Patch employee.

9. Crap. Sorry to hear this, Moddy.

Lots of talented people there. Just rough.

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

What kind of job?

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying, but disagree. This deal presumably gives AOL $$, which they won't be spending on Fanhouse. Plus, Patch is all about super local content - that's not something they'll be able to grab up from somewhere else.

And if the new AOL is anything like the new Sporting News website, it will blow monkey chow.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Speaking as a Patch employee, we're somewhat separate from the rest of the AOL flagship. The company hit all the 2010 goals AOL set for it, and it's only been under control for about a year, so I'm not really worried. Besides, given the stability of the rest of the industry, one could make the argument that at this point, it's just a matter of choosing which boat you want to go down with.

Draft saved Draft deleted