1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

APSE contest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hwkcrz1, Jan 2, 2011.

1. That's pretty pathetic on your boss' part. There's nothing wrong with wanting to win awards -- it's a nice bit of recognition for the staff and it boosts morale in a business that doesn't have much back-patting these days. But being obsessed and crazy about awards is a lot different than simply hoping to win.

2. esport12

esport12 Member

have they posted the PDF flyer with all the information on how to submit? I just took over recently at my shop, and I really don't know the first thing about submitting stuff.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

That is going to gum up a LOT of southern newspapers that load up for college football Sunday sections ...

rb

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The Sunday mandatory dates hurt us, too. The date in June was a day when most of our high school baseball and softball (since Iowa plays late May through July) was rained out. The August date was a little better — our Class A Midwest League team was home and we had a couple of local features.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Drawn randomly, if they still do it like they used to. Them's the breaks...

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

That's my understanding. We've fared really well on the random days some years, not so well others. Being in a college market with no pro teams to cover during the summer means we load up on enterprise, but hit us on the wrong day during those months and we can be a little soft. Gotta make up for it with strong submissions for the other two days.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Then how in the hell did the Cincinnati Enquirer get an honorable mention?

8. Little help here... what exactly is an "explanatory" story? I always figured that it was kind of like a mini-project piece -- not quite the heft of a project, but still significantly deeper than a standard news or trend piece. But it says judges don't even read sidebars in that category, so it doesn't seem the right place for a multi-story package. Looking at the completely random stories that have won that category in the past, I have no idea what it is. Any idea?

Draft saved Draft deleted