1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media Bowl Gifts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alex.riley21, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Whenever these discussions come up, it always reminds me of religion. (Not that I'm judging) But you've always got some that thing you have this very straight, very narrow path you must stay on to get to Holy Land. Others, not so much, but they think they're getting there, too.

The arguments are very Bible-esque, too.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll echo the Cotton Bowl love. I've covered two and was treated better both times than I ever was by any of the other 10+ bowl games I covered over the years.

3. Mizzougrad96

I got a pen at an event I covered that is the best media gift I'ver ever gotten. I think I got it in 1998 and it just has the perfect weight to it and I still use it to this day.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Let me ask this one.

Let's say you're playing in a media day golf tournament. (Probably a no-no in the mind of some, but many take advantage.)

Let's say on a 205-yard, Par 3, you ace the bastard. The hole-in-one prize is a new car.

For anybody that thinks the tournament is OK, a longest drive or closest to the pin prize of a dozen Pro V1s, nobody would bat an eye at. But would you think differently at a new ride?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You still use a pen you got in 1998?

6. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, it's a pretty sweet pen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I still use an umbrella from a 1992 golf tournament.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And for 12 years your stories have been affected by this serious breach of ethics, correct?

9. beardown

beardown Member

Ethically, you're not allowed gifts of any kind. If you cannot refuse them, donate them to charity or something.

That said, if everybody gets the same thing and a gift is not specific to you or your media organization, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Now if the bowl director invites you out for a meal and picks up the tab, that's crossing the line.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nobody ever thinks they can be bought, but folks still keep giving free stuff. Wonder why that is?

Historically, sports writers have shown that they are pretty good at being bought. That's how events like the Masters got on the map.

11. Mizzougrad96

Extremely so. :D

12. Mizzougrad96

About 10 years ago bowl officials from one of the big bowls were coming into town and invited all of the local media that covered the local college teams to meet with them at the best steakhouse in the city.

I called and told them I would not be coming. There was virtually no chance the team I covered was going to that game. There was really no reason they should be in town.

The day before the event my boss called me. "Yeah, we need you to go to this lunch and ask the bowl officials what they think of a possible playoff. Enjoy your steak. Ha ha..."

I went to the lunch. I had a conversation with the bowl official about the question my boss told me to ask. I got a decent answer. We didn't use the quote for two more months, but I didn't know this at the time. When the bill came, I asked if I could put my meal on my corporate card. They said, "Oh, don't be silly." I didn't push the issue. I was the only media member there who even offered and yes, I did know the offer would be refused. I doubt any other member of the media there was there for anything other than the meal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.