1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teen dies after setting himself on fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 10, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This story doesn't really get into the why. Terribly sad.

http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=13650814

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Hopefully he wasn't conscious at all. From what I've heard the pain associated with those kinds of burns is excruciating.

On a side note, am I the only one surprised that the school had classes today?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My high school called off school on a Monday after two students had been killed in a drunk driving accident but had classes the day after a kid shot himself.

I don't think there's ever a right answer as to what's the right thing to do.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Bam Bam Bigelow does not approve.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Very tough being a teen.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Very true.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Terrifying stuff. To do it on the way into school and have people see it ... unbelievable.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/dec/10/teens-burns-prove-fatal/

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

any teen suicide is an unspeakable tragedy. the pain and torment he must have felt from inside his head unimaginable... :'(

and the manner in which he did the deed? OMG! the mere fact he chose not to select a quicker, less painful way to tragically end his life is beyond baffling. then again so is trying to understand what series of events could have led him to feel this was his best/only solution. extending my sympathies to the family seems so trite. :'(

i can only hope he has finally found the peace he was unable to come across during his brief time among us... :'( :'( :'( :'(

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Setting yourself on fire sounds like a big FU to the school.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

On the list of ways to die, that's pretty damn near the bottom.

11. CRR13

CRR13 Member

There are a lot of questions that have yet to be answered, mainly why the kid resorted to suicide. I can't think of what would cause you to be so desperate to do something. God bless the kid and his family. I can't even imagine how you cope with something like this.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Seconded. Plus, there's a decent chance it might not actually finish the intended job and you're left alive to deal with excruciating pain and disfigurement.

Draft saved Draft deleted