1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports columnist, Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a difference between naming them if they come in and interview and naming them if they just called about it.

Figure it this way, this is a No. 2 columnist job. They're not going to hire someone who makes more than their No. 1 columnist.

The two people I know of who have been contacted (not interviewed) are not regular columnists.

Who knows, maybe Drip is right and Bill Plaschke will be there shortly. :D

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's not about being a number one or being a number 2. Talent is talent and there are some talented people who have applied. Naming them - at least the ones that I know who have inquired - isn't important. The only thing that matters is who gets the job.
    Besides, why would you want to name anyone on an internet message board who is looking for a job? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I would look for someone from within Tribune Company who gives them some diversity.

4. FakeJeffreyLoria

FakeJeffreyLoria New Member

Seven confirmed candidates for the job: 2 from Herald, 2 from Sun-Sentinel, 1 from Palm Beach Post, 1 from AP, 1 freelancer. All have gotten or are in the process of getting interviews with Tim Stevens.

5. Fran Curci

In other words, no current newspaper writer from out of South Florida? Hard to believe the field is that limited. Of course, maybe they don't really want to hire anyone so they are not bothering with interviews from candidates around the country. Or Tim Stephens has been discreet about bigger names.

6. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

Correction, to "South Beach," you know to play for the South Beach Heat.

7. Mizzougrad96

He's made some inquiries outside of Florida, or maybe they called him, but didn't bring anyone in. In the two cases I know of, I don't think they could have afforded either. The moving thing has got to be a big issue.

Let's start guessing the seven. :D

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know you are joking but let's not.

9. Hack

Hack New Member

I wonder how much they can realistically pay?

10. Mizzougrad96

The last guy was making $90K. I'm guessing this guy will get less than that.

11. Fran Curci

Without naming alleged candidates, I can tell you it won't be anyone from AP or Palm Beach Post and almost certainly not from Miami Herald. More interviews to come.

12. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

This has the look, feel and drama of the old NCAA Tournament third-place game.

Draft saved Draft deleted