1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports writer, St. Petersburg Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rleblanc, Nov 19, 2010.

1. rleblanc

rleblanc New Member

The St. Petersburg Times, Florida's largest newspaper, is looking for a high-energy reporter to cover high school sports in one of our key competitive areas. The position is a mix of deadline and non-deadline reporting, with a heavy dose of writing/blogging for the Web. We're looking for someone who has demonstrated the ability to tackle the deeper, more difficult story, go beyond the gamer and feature. Video shooting and editing skills are desirable, and a nose for news is an absolute must. Football and recruiting are our bread and butter, but we cover 15 or so seasonal sports, so be prepared to juggle multiple beats.
    Interested candidates should send a packet to:
    Roy LeBlanc
    Assistant Metro Editor
    St. Petersburg Times
    490 First Ave. S
    St. Petersburg, FL 33701
    For more information, contact Roy LeBlanc ( leblanc@sptimes.com ) or Regional Sports Editor Traci Johnson ( tjohnson@sptimes.com ).

2. I'm guessing this is to replace Izzy Gould.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Once upon a time, when I was but a pup reporter, I sent a package to the St. Pete Times. It was one of very many cold-call packages I mailed while looking to move up a rung on the ladder.

Roy LeBlanc was one of the few who responded, and he did so with a personal letter with some nice things to say about my work and some suggestions to improve my chances of landing a job at a place like the St. Pete Times.

My point: Roy LeBlanc is one of the good guys, as far as I'm concerned.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Never met the man, but had a very similar situation happen regarding Roy. It's a level of courtesy you rarely find these days.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I third these words.

6. SudburyPatch

SudburyPatch Guest

Roy gave me a chance to get my byline in a major daily when no one else would ... not even the main daily in the company I worked for before bolting.

If you get the chance to work for Roy, don't pass it up.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure Roy is in sports on an everyday basis anymore, but he's an obvious person to help in the hiring process.

Many moons ago, he hired me. I'll never forget that interview, he asked a lot of great questions and after my meager answers I didn't think he'd hire me to wash his car. But he hired me (for the paper, not washing his car) and was a huge influence on me as a journalist.

8. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

what would a position like this pay?

9. LemMan

LemMan Member

Just spitballing here, but I'd say the mid 40s...

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Roy is a tremendous guy. One of the best.

I'm guessing pay is low to mid 40s.

If this is Izzy's job, huge shoes to fill.

Kick ass in this job and you too could be covering Bama football in a few years.

11. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Any word on this?

12. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

As of early this week, they were still going through applications.

Draft saved Draft deleted