1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page designer/copy editor, Durham Herald-Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Herald-Sun of Durham, N.C., has an opening for a page designer/copy editor for its sports section, which has won recognition by both APSE and the N.C. Press Association for its design. We are located in the heart of ACC country, covering Duke, UNC and N.C. Central athletics, along with the Carolina Hurricanes and the Durham Bulls. We are looking for someone with the talent to produce eye-catching designs and would prefer someone with InDesign experience. If youre looking for a challenge, please submit a rsum and tearsheets to Jimmy DuPree, sports editor, P.O. Box 2092, Durham, N.C. 27702 or by e-mail to jdupree@heraldsun.com.

I don't know Jimmy DuPree but I do have to post this with my usual warning about Paxton. Be careful.

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Let it be known that Paxton NC is going the way of other Paxton regional papers (and newspapers in general) -- they are moving to a consolidated design desk for the NC Paxton papers in Durham after the new year. So, the question becomes, how much are you working for the Herald-Sun, and how much are you working for the Herald-Sun-plus?

3. Tarheel316

Wow, that is a big piece of news but not surprising. My guess is the desk person would be involved with several Paxton papers.

4. It's Paxton: walk away slowly so you don't attract its attention, then run like the wind when you're safely out of range!

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What other NC papers are in the group?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

High Point, Henderson, Sanford, Lenoir and a few small papers I can't think of were Paxton at one point.

7. UNCGrad

Monroe and Forest City.

8. Tarheel316

There's also a tri-weekly in Thomasville and a weekly in Archdale.

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Where's your info coming from? I just talked with a couple of friends who have high-level editing-management positions at Paxton papers in N.C., and they've been told NOTHING about this ... one of the papers just installed a digital platemaker, of all things (a six-figure piece of machinery) ...

10. UNCGrad

Maybe it's not all NC papers, but Sanford is definitely going that way. Can't imagine they won't all eventually go that route.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Call Dan Way, one of the middle managers there in the Sun newsroom.
    Tell him Blitz sent you.
    He might give you insight on what the job will entail.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Durham?! Those jerks still owe me 50 bucks for freelance work I did for them 5 1/2 years ago. If they pay their employees the way they pay their stringers, you could be living on Top Ramen.

Draft saved Draft deleted