1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Albuquerque Journal beat writer reassigned for email

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Oct 13, 2010.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Who is Rick Alford?
    Is he any relation to Steve Alford, the men's basketball coach who this Iowa grad enjoyed seeing fall on his face in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament last March?
    Just curious.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Rick Alford is former Sports Editor at the Longview (Wash.) Daily News.

As for the reporter, no way he should lose his beat over that. Without having a tone of voice, I can read that email two totally different ways, the second being: "if you have quit the team, that's probably a good move for you. This winless bunch of plowhorses was a waste of your time and talents. Move onto something better."

3. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

I also know Greg and worked with him. Total professional, hard worker, great at what he does. Further disclosure: I'm a designer, not a reporter. So this is not my field of expertise as it is with some of you.

But I don't see a big problem with what he did, and certainly I'll echo others in questioning management for not standing up for him after the years he's put in on that beat.

Hang in there, Greg.

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

If there's a record for the most career NCAA Tournament losses to double-digit seeds, then Alford has to be closing in on it, if he doesn't have it already. That always makes me smile when I think about that egotistical, hypocritical assclown.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Oops, my bad. This former Iowa resident did mean Steve. I've done stories for Rick Alford before, good guy with a good reputation.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Any chance there's more to this than "good reporter makes one mistake and gets unfairly punished for it"? I don't know the guy from Adam, and I only know what I read here, but are we sure that there isn't more to the story?

7. nmsports

nmsports Member

In the "what goes around, comes around file"...UNM fb player in question was dismissed from the team this week for academic deficiencies.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There goes 2 first downs per game.

Draft saved Draft deleted