1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sacramento changes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Also Charlotte. McClatchy is sharing the pain.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A quick peek at sacbee.com makes it look bleaker:

First of all, they still have Bradley listed on their contact page.
    Looks like it's Jason Jones on the Kings, Joe Davidson on preps, Matthew Barrows on the 49ers, John Schumacher on RiverCats and local colleges (Sac State, UC Davis and jucos), and Ailene Voisin, columnist. Gutierrez had the Raiders beat as well as home-only Giants-A's coverage.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

God, when does this end? Jeebus Cripes. A staff of five for a 215K?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

D'oh! I was looking at old circulation numbers. Sorry.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the Bee still has beat writers for the Raiders and Niners. I'm not sure what they're covering baseball wise, which is kind of funny (not ha ha) since one of the Bee's columnists got a ton of face time on the Ken Burns Doc.

I'm still stunned from a couple years ago when they let McNeal and Howard-Cooper go. At one time, this paper might have had the best NBA team coverage in the country. I doubt that's the case anymore.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Marty McNeal's gone? What's he doing now, anyone know?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I know they really cut back on having Giants and Athletics' games staffed a few years ago around the time Nick Peters retired. Hell, the RiverCats outdrew the A's many a night. But some of the talent that's gone through that paper the last few years ... Peters, McNeal, Howard-Cooper, Pedro Gomez (does he still have the ESPN gig?), Quan Spears (now the flak for the CIF). Looks like Debbie Arrington shifted over to lifestyles after the Monarchs were folded as well.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's working for something called Sacramento Press.

Tremendous Kings beat writer. I think of every layoff I've heard about in the last three years, the two that caused my jaw to hit the floor the most were McNeal and Rick Maese.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

Bill is a great guy who I've had the pleasure to connect with on a number of job levels (his, mine, both). I hope he finds another gig worthy of his experience and decency.

10. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

I hope Bill catches on somewhere. He's a good person and a fine editor. And he cares about people. I would not be in Pittsburgh if not for a call from Bill Bradley. And I'll never forget him for that.

11. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I'll second the words of Editude and Jerry Micco. I had some nice dealings with Bill when he was in Nashville, and his connections helped me find a better gig when I was looking for one -- even though we've never actually met in person. That speaks volumes about the kind of guy he is.

12. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Man, CSN is loading up

Draft saved Draft deleted