1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most expensive dinner?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Sep 30, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, I have no recollection of how good the steak was.

But I do remember having a fun night and a good experience. Plus, my folks were in town for a visit & picked up the tab.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like getting on phone in desert room and requesting obscure songs.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Unless your butcher is dry-aging your porterhouse, there's no way to replicate that kind of meal at home. If your butcher is dry-aging your porterhouse, you're going to be paying enough for it to justify going to the steakhouse anyway.

No mention of Doe's Eat Place yet? French Laundry?

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The steak picture was just unfair.

I grew up both in a very rural area and the son of a mom who grew up on welfare and lectured me whenever I dared order an entree that cost more than $10-12, so I can't say I've had many four-star dining experiences. I'd be surprised if we ever cracked the $75 mark for the four of us.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've made 95 percent of my top restaurant stops on the company dime. I'm guessing that's the case with quite a few on here.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Someone else has paid for the majority of my expensive meals too.

If someone gives you enough business, it's easily justified.

I worked for a gold broker on the trading floor at the old WTC years ago. Cargill had their own broker, but for whatever reason, they would occasionally send business our way as well.

So, every once in a while we'd take the Cargill traders -- the guys in the office, not the floor traders who were our competition -- to Peter Luger's.

Over the next week or two, they'd send us enough business to more than justify the expense of the dinner.

Then they'd go back to sending the majority of their business to their own brokers until we did it all over again.

If I could do one thing differently in my career, I would have wined & dined the floor brokers on the exchange when I was an independent trader. People are easily bought/influenced. And if taking someone to an expensive dinner -- or even a strip joint -- means that you can buy on the bid & sell on the offer when they have customer orders to fill, it's money well spent.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just don't let Lucky Strike pick up the tab.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Nice.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

everything tastes better when others pick up the tab...

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Several years ago, I did some business with a young man who had a successful business of his own. During the course of our business, he met and hired my son - a very bright kid who was very good. When the owner would take off for a weekend, he'd leave my son in charge. Came to rely on him heavily.

When my son finally headed off to college (he did his first two years at home), this young man took the four of us out along with his cousin/business partner and their girlfriends. Party of eight. Wanted to thank me for my business and David for all his help.

We did the full monty at the local Mortons. Numerous appetizers. A couple of drinks. Big-ass steaks and all the sides. Desserts. After dinner drinks. Obscene amounts of good and drink and all of it spectacular.

The guy wouldn't let me touch a portion of the tab. It was $1,500 easy and my guess is he probably rounded up with the tip.

Best meal and one of the best nights of my life.

Most I ever popped for was about 500 for the four of us at the local Ruth's Chris (they must vary from place to place because the one here is really good). Can't remember what we were celebrating.

I hear what Michael is saying loud and clear, understand it completely. I cook a mean steak myself. Yet I still enjoy everything about the quality steakhouse experience. Given the call, I'll pick that every time. My 1A option is a big-time Italian meal.

(as a side note, when David left the boss gave him one hell of a parting gift. A kegerator for his townhouse. "You couldn't give him a fancy calculator?" I asked. "I wanted to give him something he'd use," was the reply)

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

couldn't agree more. no one grills a better steak than i do. but there's something about the upscale steakhouse experience that can't be beat. my wife doesn't eat red meat so we go maybe once or twice a year and i'm fine with that because it makes the experience all that much more fantastic.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Out of sheer boredom, I added up the totals to date (excluding Canadian funds and one wedding).

$27,851. Collectively we represent half a Dez Bryant tab.

Draft saved Draft deleted