1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Modern Family (ABC)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Wow, you can't repeat jokes.

That's why Seinfeld only did the goofy Kramer entrance once and Elaine's "Get out" chest shove once and "Hello, Newman" once and....

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, if poin is nitpicking Modern Family, I can only imagine how much he screams at the TV when anything else is on.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Could that BE any more repetitive?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Arrested Development would like you to define family sitcom, please. I like MF as much as the next guy, and it's a different show that AD, but it's not better, and it's certainly not light years better.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My favorite moment from the episode was Cam reading the Hollywood Gossip mag to the baby.
    Downside to the show is Mrs. Rhody continually laughs at everything Cam does because she says that's how I act.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Could you watch Arrested Development with your kids? I would say no, because the jokes, while hilarious, are completely over the heads of kids under 12.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Shows like Arrested Development and Curb (and to a lesser extent 30 Rock), when on, work on a way higher level than Modern Family ever has hit.

But it is a well written show which is very likeable. I don't think that I have ever disliked an episode. This season opener was very good, but did serve as an introduction to the families for newcomers.

Most importantly, they have done a great job with casting and each of the characters (with the possible exception of the eldest daughter and Manny) are somewhat fully realized and not just two dimensional stereotypes.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It wasn't a great episode, but the Vietnam line was great.

I remember when Northern Exposure hit big - after a while the actors seemed to be winking along with the script and it became quirky for quirky's sake. I hope that doesn't happen with MF.
    The Manny story was forced
    The family wagon story seemed overly sentimental
    and if they keep those lame montage narrations at the end - ala Grey's Anatomy - I'm bailing on the show.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

" ... Which is why we don't hide anything."

"That is the opposite of what I said."

"I was not listening."

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This show is brilliant, and I don't think it's ever been more brilliant than it was last night.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Julie Bowen's facials were outstanding last night.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

So many ways to go with that ...

Draft saved Draft deleted