1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As long as another horse doesn't walk into the coach's office and offer up his jersey so the little horse can play, I might not be induced to vomit.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think they should have all of the other horses in the stable do a slow clap after Secretariat retires.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wife got "Away We Go" from the library with John Krasinski and Maya Randolph/Rudolph. Very low expectations and it was very funny and poignant. Alison Janney is hilarious as a drunk mother and there was a nice family scene with Catherine O'Hara and Jeff Daniels as the self-absorbed parents of Krasinski.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I agree. I think the average moviegoer (they are the ones who make a movie a hit, no matter how strongly cinephiles or people invested in the subject matter attend) is going to look at that and think, "a movie about a horse that wins races? Didn't we just have one of those a couple of years ago? Sounds boring."

There is not, on the surface, anything uniquely compelling. It's going to need a huge critic push and/or being rolled out on a weekend where there's nothing in the same demo offered.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Week and a half. Won't be long, now.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not one I've just seen obviously but I can't wait for the new Cohen brothers movie True Grit They maintain that it's not a remake of the John Wayne. They've gone back to the original source material--the novel and come up with their own take.

Trailer was just released.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like 'The Cincinnati Kid,' but the last hand's a joke.
    The odds of that unfolding like that are more than 332 billion to one against. If the two guys played 50 hands an hour for eight hours a day for five days a week - that hand would happen once in 443 years.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Besides the ridiculous hand at the end, I just thought the entire card game was an anticlimax after all of the build-up.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

For unknown reasons, our advertising department is sponsoring an advance showing of the Facebook movie "Social Network" on Thursday night and they invited the proletariat to attend. I'll report back after we see it.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought he sounded exactly like Adam Sandler at times. Not all the time, but enough that I noticed it.

Interesting to me that Affleck plays a former hockey player from Charlestown. ;)

"Most folk heroes started out as criminals." ;D

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Watched 'Get Him to the Greek' last night. Not bad, not great and funny at times. The Vegas hotel scene was funny, but I have a strange sense of humor.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I think it's really interesting how much revenge themes are dominating movies recently (not that True Grit was made recently, but maybe a factor in why the Coens took on this particular story). It's like modern society is splintered into so many interest groups, but certain intrinsic things resonate. Revenge stories always do well.

Draft saved Draft deleted