1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Associate Editor, Sporting News, Charlotte, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Gang, this would appear to be a re-posting.

Sporting News is seeking an associate editor to work for its digital news desk.

Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, editing stories for our digital publications -- Sporting News Feed and Sporting News Today -- writing headlines and cutlines, rewriting wire stories, and building packages around the news that include aggregated content from around the web.

Candidates should have strong line-editing and grammar skills, be able to work under tight deadlines while maintaining editorial quality and have good news judgment. Candidates should be able to work in a team environment while also having the capability to solve problems on their own.

Previous newsroom experience is preferred. Experience with content management systems in web publishing, as well as Photoshop, InDesign and InCopy, is a plus.

The job requires night hours and weekend work.

Sporting News is located in Charlotte, N.C., and is a part of American City Business Journals.

Candidates should send a resume, cover letter and examples of work to Managing Editor Benson Taylor at btaylor@sportingnews.com.

2. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

What manner of "examples of work" should I submit for an editing job like this?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Headlines, perhaps.

4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Hoo, what I used to do in the good old days was print out the original copy of a story and a copy of the same story after I did the editing, and I would label them as "original" and "edited version." ... I always wondered if the hiring types ever took the time to actually look at them to see if I could really edit.

Anyway, Hoo, true story and example, for what it's worth. And yes, headlines.

5. PackerBacker

PackerBacker New Member

Has anyone who submitted their info received a reply?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who left?

Draft saved Draft deleted