1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What new shows will you watch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 15, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

After having gotten sucked into Lost - and at the brink of giving it up until they announced it would end in two years - I'm staying away from The Event. Maybe I'll catch it on DVD. Lone Star looks good, I'm figuring I can catch on to most of the other shows later if they look like they'll last.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This. And probably only this. Watched the trailers of all the new network shows the other night. Not one seemed more than slightly appealing. Very disappointing.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I watch a lot of stuff way after the fact. I usually collect a lot of shows on my DVR and watch them when over the holidays when everything else is in reruns or during the summer.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know, the Event sounds like a mash-up of Lost, Prison Break, and Flash Forward. Apparently there are three main plots (hence the way the title has a 3 in it), it has sci-fi elements (note the Comic-Con screening) and each plot exists in a different time period.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Prison Break was another serial drama that went downhill very fast after about two seasons or so.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You didn't see this coming? It's called "Prison Break." Once they're out, you gotta stop. The writers were basically screaming to the network: "WE DIDN'T THINK PAST SEASON ONE EVEN A LITTLE BIT."

I'll rank the new shows in order of popularity (and this has nothing to do with substance):

1. Shit My Dad Says: It's on CBS. The ratings on this network DEFY LOGIC. If you doubt that, sit through an episode or two of "Two and a Half Men" and then remember this is the No. 1 comedy.

2. Hawaii 50: See above

3. Everything else on CBS.

4. Mr. Sunshine: Karma. Perry's due after a very good show, Studio 60, flopped on him.

5. Boardwalk Empire: I think it'll be great, but I have my doubts about longevity. It's the 1920s and it's on cable. Not a good combo for ratings.

Other than The Event, nothing else makes it past year one. And The Event only makes it because it's NBC, and honestly, they got nothing else.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Possibly Hawaii 5-0, Outlaw and L&O: LA.

Another one I might give a chance is Detroit 187, which airs on TNT, I believe.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Forgot about this. I'll watch too. But it's never gonna make it. Imperioli is Christopher Moltisanti. And every time you see him on one of these cop shows, all you can think is: "Hey, what's Christopher doing acting like a cop?"

One of these former Sopranos writers should develop a damn mob drama for another network, like Showtime or Starz. Hell, do a show on Johnny Sac's NY crew. You could use all the same damn actors. It'd be a hit from the jump.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Someone basically did. Terrence Winter with Boardwalk Empire.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Obviously, this is very different from The Shield, but very much in line with just about everything else Chiklis has done.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll bet "Shit My Dad Says" is one of the first shows canceled. I believe they had to shoot three pilots and drastically rework the show each time. The lead opposite Shatner was recast. The clips I've seen were pretty awful. It has disaster written all over it.

The preview of "Blue Bloods" looked like agony to sit through, but I wouldn't be surprised if it survives. It's comfortable - it has a star everybody likes and is exactly like every modestly successful but shitty cop show that came before it.

"Hawaii Five-O" will be a hit based on the theme song alone.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The Event and Mike and Molly is about all I'm planning on watching right now. Might get sucked into another show, who knows.

Draft saved Draft deleted