1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Francisco Chronicle refuses to cover MMA and UFC and UFC President bashes em

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Aug 11, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fuck yeah!

Oh, wait...

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

And this is why I love you a little. You do this instead of pointing out my grammatical errors. :)

3. So, you refuse to take an entire sport seriously because its spokesman isn't a Bettman-like corporate robot. OK then. I'd argue more journalists find White interesting and quotable specifically because he doesn't filter his thoughts or engage in the droning PR-speak you find everywhere else.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This actually does remind me of the soccer fans.

"MMA is not a real sport."

MMA fan response

"Why are MMA fans so defensive?"

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It does sound rather petty for me to make that type of generalization, yes. However, if that is the only way he can find to to speak about his sport publicly, then yes, I will stick by my guns on this one. Is that my only reason? No. I've watched the sport. In person, even. I won't ever be a fan. The problem with White is that I won't ever give the sport any respect. I hear the same from the fans that I've ran into.

Do I cuss and drop some f-bombs when watching football? Sure, in my living room when it's filled with grown-ups. Do I use other PG-rated words when there are 5-year-olds around watching. Yep.

If the man, or the sport, chose to show a little discretion to the rest of the world, then they might be taken seriously. Until then, I don't really care if they get covered or not.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Now we just need some trolls to suggest ways to improve MMA to make it appeal to more Americans. More goals ... errr, knockouts!

7. I can't believe people are still arguing that it's appropriate to completely ignore an event that drew 12,000 people. You don't have to go all-out, but you have to at least cover it in some sense.

8. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Some would argue it's not appropriate to not have no full time staffers covering preps. That is the boat the Chronicle is in right now.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

They could have easily strung the event out, put a photo on their front page, put an AP story on Page Two, done something. But, instead, a group of MMA haters decided to push their own agendas rather than cover one of the most relevant national events of the day in their back yard.

If I were a subscriber to their paper, I would be colossally disappointed in them for this.

I know if the UFC came to Rhode Island and the Projo didn't cover the event I'd love down on them for that so I can only imagine what their readers thought the next day.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Snapping, without the option to tap. And look for more stoics who will refuse to submit

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Britney Spears concerts draw 12,000 people. Some of you would point out that Tea Parties draw more than that and don't contribute anything to society. Just because a lot of people attend an event doesn't make it newsworthy.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and they both are covered by the papers. Your point?

Draft saved Draft deleted