1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps Editor/Reporter, Anderson, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ianguerin, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ianguerin

ianguerin New Member

Was asked by a friend over in Anderson to help get the word out on their current opening. Just like other gigs I've posted here in the past (Myrtle Beach, most recently) I'll post an official link when I see one.

Here's the gig:

About the position:
    The Independent-Mail, a 35-38k circ, is looking for someone to take over its Prep Editor position. You'll be in charge of directing and leading coverage for the 17 high schools in the area, which extends into Northeast Georgia. Schools range in size from Class 4A (the largest in the state) to 1A.
    You'll also help out on the college beats regularly, meaning you could be at a T.L. Hanna game Friday night and a Clemson football game Saturday morning.
    You'll be expected to write a lot, as well as contribute to what has developed into a pretty decent preps online page. Pretty sure Social Media is part of the deal, as well.
    This beat was essentially formed into what it is by a dude named Keith Farner, who recently left for a job in Atlanta so he could be closer to his fiancee. Paul Strelow (recently hired by 247sports.com) held it briefly.
    Some of the teams are pretty decent and are regular participants deep into state tourneys.

About the area:
    Anderson isn't a metropolis, but it's a decent-sized town that buddy's up to Clemson. Cost of living is dirt cheap -- when I left in 2005, I was renting a small 1BR for $350 a month. It wasn't the lap of luxury, but hell, it did the trick. Lake Hartwell has served as home to a few employees over the years, as it's only a few miles down the road.
    You'll have access to basically every chain restaurant known to man and a handful of few pretty good local joints.
    There area a couple of cool bars in town for those who enjoy that sort of thing; being close to Clemson, there's some good ones w/in a 15 minute drive.
    Again, this isn't the biggest town in the world. It's also 2 hours from Atlanta and Charlotte, and basically the same from Columbia, so there are options for a pretty good weekend trip. Of course, you're 4 hours from the coast, too.
    I will say this from experience -- personal and from the others who have been there -- the people who have moved to Anderson and thoroughly enjoyed it are the ones who did their research first. It's no Chicago; but it's not exactly BFE, either.

About the paper:
    I don't know a lot of specifics on actual staff size now, but the sports section itself is run by Scott Adamson, a pretty darn good boss. The staff also includes a full-time Clemson writer (Greg Wallace) an asst. editor/USC reporter (Brad Senkiw) and a small number of desk people. It's owned by Scripps, and at least a few years ago, the benefits package was pretty nice for what you paid for.

How to apply:
    Clips, cover letter, resume, etc., can be sent to Scott at: adamsonsl@independentmail.com. Since football season has already started, I'm sure he'll appreciate you saving your phone calls.

I'll answer any questions I can here, or feel free to email me. Please, though, don't ask how much they're paying. I have no clue and won't foster a guess. I will say they aren't going to rush into a decision, but as the season's already started, they need to get the right person pronto. Don't delay getting in those packets.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I worry because it's a Scripps paper, but it appears that the company cares more about Anderson than it did Denver.

And that's it for the concerns. Don't know about Scott, but he gets Ian's seal of approval, I'd say that's pretty good. Greg is good people and Brad is a top-notch guy in his own right.

Hurry to apply for this one. One could do muuuuuuch worse.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Adamson also gets my seal of approval... One of the best bosses I've ever had...

Scripps, OTOH...

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Scott's a helluva guy, and does an outstanding impersonation of Gene Stallings.

5. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Are they looking for experience in this one, or would a recent grad have a chance?

6. Know Scott a little personally, but I see the section when I go home to visit my folks, and my dad still reads it every day. It was a terrific section years ago and then went through a HUGE lull.
    Scott, however, has turned things around and hired good people and has things rolling again.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There are worse locations than Anderson. I wouldn't say, however, that Hartwell is a few miles away. It's more like 25 or 30. Beautiful lake, though. This gig will trigger a flood of apps.

8. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Tarheel: A desker while I was there lived on the lake. It took me 10 minutes to get to his place from the paper.

I would respectfully disagree with Daniel's assessment of the section, at least from May 2004-Aug. 2005. (Ahem.)

As always, any town is what you make of it. I had plenty of fun in Clemson, and the $5 yearly pass to Dazzler's is almost worth a year or two of your life.

9. ianguerin

ianguerin New Member

Sam -- Name a crossover chain (or any chain in general) that is all peaches right now. I don't see Scripps doing to Anderson what they pulled in Bham or Denver. Much different situation. Let's put it this way: One of those Birmingham 24-hour notice casualties -- Greg Wallace -- is now busting his tail at the Anderson paper. I don't see him doing that if he didn't feel comfortable with the situation in Anderson.

Ben -- Anderson has a history of hiring young -- I was straight out of college, as was Farner, Kay, etc. At the same time, any gig right now is going to get a diverse applications set. Get it in, show off your best clips and see what you can do.

Joel -- you paid for that pass to Dazzler's? Huh. They must have smelled the rich mahogany and leather-bound books when I walked through the door, because they waived that $5 annual fee.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Two actually as Adamson's a survivor from Birmingham; plus at least one newssider is also a BHM survivor.

11. Tarheel, Hartwell lake reaches into Anderson. Believe me, I know. I grew up there and spent MANY days out there in high school and college.

12. ianguerin

ianguerin New Member

Guys, I've been told the AIM is also expecting this person to do very limited desk work. That may include laying out the occasional page or helping edit copy. And while it probably won't even be a fifth of your work week, pagination skills could help your chances.
    I've been told the person may be on the desk on "some Saturdays."

The paper's already gotten a pretty good response, but if you're still getting those packets together, do so soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted