1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moves in Columbia, Charlotte

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pipeline Sez:

Josh Kendall, who has covered the SEC for almost a decade, has been named the new USC football beat writer for The State.
    Kendall will replace Joseph Person, who is joining another McClatchy newspaper, The Charlotte Observer. Person will cover the Carolina Panthers, and you will be able to read his coverage in The State.
    Joining Kendall as part of the new USC coverage team for The State and GoGamecocks.com will be Josh Hoke. Hoke is covering Gamecocks recruiting.
    Kendall most recently covered the SEC for FoxSports.com and FoxSportsSouth.com. He also founded OurVarsity.com, a high school sports website that is used by 19 newspapers throughout the country. Before that, he covered University of Georgia sports for the Macon Telegraph and the Athens Banner-Herald for eight years. Kendall broke the story of Larry Munson’s retirement as the longtime voice of the Bulldogs, and he earned a Freedom of Information award for his reporting on the firing of former Georgia basketball coach Jim Harrick.
    Hoke is a former kicker for Coastal Carolina and was a part of several Big South championship teams. After graduating, he covered Coastal for the Myrtle Beach Sun News. He’ll bring his first-hand experience in college football to his beat.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Congrats to Josh K. and Joe, two of the finest people I've ever dealt with in the business.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So no one can accuse Hoke of never having played the game, eh?

4. He was a kicker so that's exactly what they'll say. Amiright?

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Damn that Macon pipeline just keeps turning 'em out.

6. ianguerin

ianguerin New Member

If I'm not mistaken, he's still the school's all-time leading scorer. That's surely more than most of us can say.

On a serious note, Josh will be all over recruiting for that school. In the little bit of time he had to deal w/ that stuff in Myrtle, he was on top of it.

7. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

Can't accuse Person of never playing the game. He was a tight end at William and Mary.

8. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

The question is, does the kicker write good kickers?

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Josh (Kendall) is an excellent reporter and one of my favorite people on the planet. I worked with him in Athens and watching him work made me a better beat writer.

Congrats to him and Janet, though I don't wish Columbia on anyone.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I've said it before: I had the pleasure of working with both joe and josh in macon. Two of the greatest gentlemen you can find. All we need is to get murph away from boise back to the sec/acc area ... Congrats to all involved in this. Just shows not all the good ones have left papers

Josh also overheard a GHSA exec using the n word during the lower classifications state semis and finals while in macon. Handled it like a pro. He's always connected somehow.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Darin Gantt, I'm really looking forward to what Joe Person will bring to the Panthers beat. I witnessed some of his top-notch work in Columbia, and similar work will produce wonders in Charlotte. (Of course, John Fox isn't as quotable as Steve Spurrier, but Joe did deal with Lou Holtz, so it all evens out)

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

What Sam said.

Draft saved Draft deleted