1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida beat in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Coaching hires. Coaching departures. Injury news. Depth chart updates. Roster changes.
    Yeah, much of the news you get in the day-to-day world. Of course, they won't say so and so is gone because he failed a drug test. You can still chase that. But rest assured the news that he's gone will show up on the site 99 times out of 100.
    When they close practice at U.Va., the media is ushered out. My old colleague gets to stay.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Aside from arrests (and that certainly is a part of that beat) and the occasional suspension, I'd think most everything else is fair game.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a sophisticated way of shutting out reporters. Or a clever way for a university to manage the news.

4. Moderator1

You are spot on there. Very spot on.

5. Richard Belding

Richard Belding New Member

I was on the UF beat for many years. It is a brutal team to cover. They are so paranoid of bad PR at UF, and they manipulate the media. Foley and (apparently Meyer) yell at and intimidate reporters who write unfavorable stories (even if they are factually true).

Also, after the Gators lose a football game, usually only kickers or rarely used back-ups are made available for interviews (the quarterback is sometimes the exception).

In 2007, when Florida's defense was miserable, defensive players were rarely made available for interviews. UF knew if the defensive players didn't talk, the media wouldn't write a bunch of "why is this defense so bad" stories. It worked. I mean, it's hard to write a story about how bad the secondary is when the defensive backs won't talk to the media.

Now that UF has hired their own writer, it's just another way of shutting out the real media and manipulating the news.

6. Moderator1

Well, you can still write that story. You need to note that UF shields its dbs from the press but let's let the numbers talk - show it. WRs are cocky. Find a WR from an opponent who will spill on how they knew they could exploit, etc.

"In the University of Florida's view of the world, the Gators defensive backs could be reporters.
    "Florida doesn't like reporters to actually cover anything and the DBs can't actually cover anything. So it's a perfect match."

And go from there.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Florida certainly isn't the first school to do this. Some very media friendly schools have made similar hires.

But I agree with everything that Belding said.

8. Tarheel316

Excellent points Moddy. That does seem like the way to go.

9. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Then the story is that the defensive backs aren't being allowed to talk. That tells the reader volumes - about how UF operates and how bad the DBs must be. It's actually draws more attention to the problem than it would if the DBs were allowed to talk and say stuff like "We're working hard and trying to improve."

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Billy's got it. I make mention anytime a player I'm writing about isn't available for comment when requested after a game, and especially when an assistant coach doesn't show as requested. Only thing they're shielding an assistant from is accountability.

11. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That's a good lede. I'll pay $5 to the first UF writer who uses it.

12. Tarheel316

You'll never have to give up that $5.

Draft saved Draft deleted