1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harold Dow - CBS News fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100821/NEWS03/100821014/CBS+correspondent+Harold+Dow+dies+at+62

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sad news. I met him on a story many years ago and he was an exceedingly nice guy when he was a 48 hours correspondent and I was a kid in a small market trying to figure out what I was doing.

Damn good reporter, too. RIP.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This linked story and the story CBS Radio did last night fails to mention HOW he died; seems suspicious to me.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Does seem to be sort of conspicuously missing. Seems like "died suddenly" with no further explanation is typically code for a suicide, but I have no idea if that's the case here.

5. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

6. TigerVols

Wow, talk about poorly written!

"But late last night, Dow's family released a statement linking his death to an asthma attack behind the wheel. The CBS News report reveals that, according to the Hackensack Police department, an inhaler was found on the floor of Dow's car. Also within that family statement was word that Dow had been suffering from severe asthmatic symptoms before the fatal moment, which prompted him to check into a New Jersey hospital last Monday for emergency treatment."

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/08/23/harold-dows-cause-of-death-asthma-behind-the-wheel/?xid=huffpo-direct#ixzz0xSR44yYf

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

When I saw my twitter feed and CBS Radio's Dan Raviv tweeted that Dow died, I was stunned.

Truly a great guy who loved doing covering stories. My prayers and sympathies to his family and his colleagues at CBS. Just sad to hear.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

When I was in 7th grade, a girl a year older than me died of an asthma attack while having Sunday dinner with her family. What a terrible way to go.

9. TigerVols

A friend of mine who was a well known young publicist in Nashville died the same way; her fiance came home and found her surrounded by more than a dozen inhalers and the phone off the hook.

Draft saved Draft deleted