1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 19, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't really care.

I like Sabathia just fine, but he's more of a mercenary than someone I'm going to get all worked up about.

In '96 I was pulling for Pettitte over Hentgen. But I was more of a fan of Pettitte, and even though he was only in his second season, you had the feeling that Pettitte might not have another chance to win a Cy Young.

Sabathia's already got a Cy Young. So, while I'll root for him, I won't be broken up if he doesn't win it.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I can't believe how little David Price is being mentioned here. His ERA is a third of a run better than Sabathia's, he has one fewer strikeout, and is 15-5 as opposed to Sabathia's 16-5.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Price absolutely belongs in the top three, ahead of Sabathia for sure.

4. YankeeFan

Are we saying who we think will win at the end of the season or who should win if the season ended today?

Part of why I think Sabathia will win is because of his history of finishing strong.

But then it's just a guess. No one's wrapped it up yet.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure different people are using different criteria. I'm going with the information we have now.

6. statrat

statrat Member

Felix demolished the Yankees tonight. 8 IP 11 K 0 runs.

7. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Any stats put up against the Indians shouldn't count for Cy Young consideration. When Armando Galarraga, who let us not forget, has spent two stints in the minors this year, can retire 42 of your hitters in a row, there is something terribly wrong with your team.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not to make trouble, but IMO Hernandez, C. C. and the Red Sox pair are all worthy winners and whichever wins I don't think there should be a bitch coming from anybody. Of course, Lester didn't help himself last night. I do wonder why August seems to be the big month for award arguments. Is it the same way August is the month for stupider-than-usual political arguments.

9. YankeeFan

That's a hell of a line. Was it good enough to earn a win?

10. statrat

statrat Member

I'm sure he about had a heart attack after being given a first inning lead, but yes, it was.

11. YankeeFan

I watched the first few innings, but it was over three batters in.

I was just trying to point out that when you pitch as well as he did, you usually also get a Win.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sabathia has 4 of his 16 wins against the godawful 0rioles and 2 of 16 against the Royals

Draft saved Draft deleted