1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida beat in Orlando

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if we even had a thread on this one, but it is done nonetheless, The Pipeline reports. And I will add Orlando made a terrific hire here.
    So the multimedia job and Gators job are filled. Colleges editor and national colleges writer open. Probably will try to fill colleges editor job first so writer candidates have an idea of the identity of their supervisor.

Anyway, congrats to Rachel George

I’m pleased to announce that Rachel George is joining our staff to cover University of Florida athletics. George covered high schools for the StarNews Media Group in Wilmington, N.C., for the past four years, earning many state and national awards. In 2009 her multi-part series about the aging Jap Davis Field House was selected by APSE as the first-place winner, all circulation categories, for investigative reporting. It was the first first-place APSE award in the Star News’ history, competing against the likes of the Boston Globe, Yahoo! Sports, USA Today and The New York Times. George also demonstrated significant multimedia skills in Wilmington, developing and maintaining StarNewsVarsity.com and leading training for more than 30 blogs at the newspaper. George, selected as the most outstanding student for the Class of 2006 at St. Bonaventure University, will join us Sept. 7.

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

A truly oustanding hire.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a rumor that George was going to one of the NYC papers. Orlando is lucky to have her. I'd bet money she's gone by this time next year.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Plus, the Sentinel needed another redhead having just lost Adelson.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Or another ass-kicking beat reporter? :)

Seriously, though ... She did so well in Wilmington that I would suspect she could really go anywhere in the country at this point.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And that means there will be an opening in Wilmington. They will get a bunch of apps.

7. chicos_bailbonds

chicos_bailbonds New Member

I once had an editor tell me, "If you can succeed in any of the Wilmington markets -- Delaware or North Carolina -- you're golden!"

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Great for Rachel! As someone who has strung a few things for her soon to be former employer, she was always great to work with.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Congratulations Rachel.
    Why is there a separate thread about this gig?

10. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Why wouldn't there be?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ordinarily, there isn't a thread to announce who got a gig. Most times, word of the hire is put on the original thread.

12. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Gotcha. I thought Moddy's initial post indicated there was not a thread for this particular opening.

Draft saved Draft deleted