1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego U-T redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 17, 2010.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

ALL CAPS SHOW
    MONSTROUS IMPORTANCE
    TO TODAY'S READERS

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's been a good-looking product for a couple of decades. Unless there is some type of improved navigation throughout, I see no point to a redesign other than for the editor show some tangible evidence that it's a different paper under him.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Meh. Too gray and bland for my taste.

4. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

If this redesign cost more than $10,000 it was a waste. Why give established readers another reason to drop the paper. Chances are you are not going to gain enough new readers because of a redesign.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I barely had to scroll all the way down. Your lede art on your redesign is ... nine mug shots?

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I almost don't mind the block ad (except for the fact that it's on the front at all, of course). It looked pretty much like a photo or graphic in that spot would, and looks almost like art that just goes with that bottom story.

The top bothers me much more, what with there being nothing to anchor the top to, um, the top. Nothing but a a white sky -- and a colossal waste of space.

All the mugs didn't make the best lead art, of course, but I'm willing to chalk that up to something that occurred just for the day, and assume that it's not necessarily part of the new design "style."

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, and one serious drawback to these changes as far a copy desk would be concerned: Having an all-caps style is bound to make headline writing infinitely more difficult. :'(

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not that much--they'll get used to it. I would be more concerned with all caps being visually harder to read and that modern readers, trained in netiquette, will wonder why their newspaper is yelling at them on every story.

9. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

The section fronts (for what it's worth, not all caps headlines):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I like the sports front, or at least how they played the swimming photo.

The biz front, with that strip of white space is odd, very odd.

Here's today's front. Centerpiece art — light switches.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like the chunks of text on the fronts. Seen too many others so chock full of teases and online refers and other visual non-editorial garbage, so it's nice to actually see words to read.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Mostly blah, but like Jay, I do dig the sports front.

Draft saved Draft deleted