1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Diego U-T redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 17, 2010.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This might be better suited for design discussion, but I'm wondering if anyone's seen the new Union-Trib design. It was supposed to debut today and anyone in Southern California with access, chime in if you've looked at it.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Here's a shot of today's front page:

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=CA_SDUT&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=2

3. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Clean, but remarkably uninspiring. Lede art is a gallery of mug shots? Really? And congratulations, by the way, to the redesign committee for completely minimizing and infantilizing the proud name of the publication.

4. I have never cared for all-cap headlines, especially on run-of-the-mill news stories.

The 1A ad, on the other hand, is a sorry sign of the times.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Meh. Boring.

The person who agreed to a block ad on A-1 instead of a 6x3 strip across the bottom needs to have their ass kicked. That looks like a fucking weekly and I don't care how much money it might have brought in. It looks bad.

Agree with minimizing the name and brand. It's like the big "S" at the Sun-Sentinel. Why minimize your brand, even if that is what the public and maybe the staff calls it? Don't mess with the brand.

I noticed Monday night the Colts have done this with their helmets and color, which is darker. The older blue and horseshoe is distinctive and traditional. It works. It doesn't, or didn't, need changing.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

It just looks so damn boring.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Looked at it now. Not crazy about the all-capital letter headlines. Cleaner looking, but is that enough?

8. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

More info on the redesign:

http://apple.copydesk.org/2010/08/17/san-diego-union-tribune-launches-redesign/

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All caps all the time is definitely a turnoff. Those should be reserved for overwhelming events, like elections, wars and championships.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You know, things that really have enormous impact on everyone's life...Elections, war and championships.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree with SixToe on that ad. I have grudgingly made peace with the strip ads, but a block completely sucks.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Man, that's brutal. The U-T look absolutely hokey. It's not classic, it's not modern. It's not anything. How can they not spell out the whole name? And to relegate the paper's name (okay, acronym) to one little corner on the top? Embarrassing.

I agree with whoever noted the block ad. I would assume a banner ad is just as effective.

And you launch a redesign with nine mug shots?

The photogs there must have been so happy.

Draft saved Draft deleted