1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Franklin, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Aug 15, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Daily Journal, an award-winning newspaper near Indianapolis, is seeking an energetic sports writer who has the drive and skills to handle a variety of beats, including high school, professional, college and recreational sports. Candidate should be able to produce strong, well-written in-depth sports features and enterprise pieces and daily stories. Looking for a leader who can run with stories and come up with original story ideas that connect with readers. Previous newspaper reporting and photography experience required. Our sports section is consistently named one of the best in Indiana and our newspaper was named the top paper in the state. Send resume and clips to: ssyse@dailyjournal.net. Phone: 317-736-2749

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1192589

2. 30 minutes to Indy, 45 to Bloomington, 90 to Louisville and about 2 hours to Cincinnati. Don't know about the paper, but as far as its location goes, you can do much worse.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

PM me for some info on this one.

4. I covered a trio of brothers from there who all wrestled D1 in college and always heard good things about the area. That's all I know.

5. chicos_bailbonds

chicos_bailbonds New Member

The area's fine, and we don't necessarily need a "trio of brothers who all wrestled D1 in college" to confirm that. :)

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The SE and ASE there -- Rick Morwick and Jeff Decker -- are two of the best guys I've ever run into. It's also not a typical community paper -- they hit the Indianapolis pros very hard and are big into feature coverage of preps (and not very much prep game coverage). It's a good gig.

7. spud

spud Member

I don't know the community, obviously, but this seems like an odd policy anywhere.

8. Yea, that's not really accurate.

The Daily Journal staffs a ton of high school games...even covering Edinburgh's, a school of about 250 students, midweek girls basketball games. The thing is, those stories are kept pretty short and buried, but the DJ has a number of consistent stringers who will drive to BFE to cover high school sports.

But, it does seem that the SE and full-time writer are given plenty of space, both figuratively and literally in the section, to do features that range far from the basic high school athlete profiles.

Draft saved Draft deleted