1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KC Star Sports Editor Lawton resigns

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, Jul 30, 2010.

1. beardown

beardown Member

I covered KC sports for a handful of years and knew Jason on a decent level. I thought he was a talented and controversial writer who everyone in the area read, whether they agreed or disagreed with him. He was the necessary bulldog on the Chiefs, especially when dealing with Carl Peterson.

I also thought he was a mediocre reporter, lazy, self-promoting to a fault and often ignorant of real stories. I remember when he labeled the Royals as racists because they chose Tony Pena over Frank White as manager. Fairly uninformed, I thought.

I don't know what's up with Whitlock's absence but he seems to find trouble with every employer on his resume.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I wonder how much Whitlock is getting paid. Far more than he's worth, I'm sure.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but Whitlock has a history on this board - he posted under his own name - and I believe things ended poorly with him outing someone.

Perhaps you knew that, but - this isn't the first place I'd go to find Whitlock, as a person, celebrated.

As for the "well-deserved break"...well, maybe, but his money beat, the Chiefs, started camp two weeks ago, and Whitlock has not, in my recollection, missed the chance to opine vigorously on camp.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

(bump)

Don't think it's a d_b yet, but, Whitlock is leaving.:

http://www.kansascity.com./2010/08/16/2154473/jason-whitlock-is-leaving-the.html

Columnist Jason Whitlock is leaving The Kansas City Star
    After 16 years of writing thought-provoking and popular columns for The Kansas City Star, Jason Whitlock is leaving the paper to pursue other interests.
    Whitlock joined The Star in 1994 as a general-interest sports columnist after writing for newspapers in Ann Arbor, Mich., and Charlotte, N.C. He immediately struck a chord with local readers and ultimately developed a national audience through his column and work in other media, including radio and television.
    In 2008, he won a National Journalism Award for commentary from The Scripps Howard Foundation. He was the first sportswriter to win this honor. He also has won numerous other awards and has appeared on programs as varied as Oprah Winfrey, Lou Dobbs and ESPN’s Sports Reporters. He continues to write columns for FOXSports.com.
    A 1990 graduate of and former football starter at Ball State University, Whitlock is an Indianapolis native.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I personally don't give a shit about Jason Whitlock, but I just felt I needed to mention that anytime we talk about the major writers or columnist, it always seems to end up talking about small newspaper hacks. A lot of here work for small papers and bust our asses a lot more than the big guys.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

No kidding.

And Shitlock is leaving, eh? How will anybody know the difference?

[​IMG]

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I wonder if this affects the sports editor's decision to leave .....

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

... or vice versa.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jeff Rosen of the Houston Chronicle has been hired to replace Holly Lawton.

http://www.bottomlinecom.com/kcnews/rosennewseatkcstar.html

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good guy. Good luck Jeff.

Draft saved Draft deleted