1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, St. Joseph, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bristol Whipped, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Per JournalismJobs.com -- http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1187101

The St. Joseph (Mo.) News-Press is seeking a community-minded sports editor to lead our staff on all fronts: quality content and packaging for the print sections, engaging contributions to our website and support for sports content on our cable news channel.

The ideal candidate already has had experience in a sports editing role with demonstrated skills in teamwork, staff management and interactions with sources and readers. Candidates with ties to the Midwest are strongly preferred.

The minimal requirements include a four-year college degree with a concentration in journalism or communications, plus several years of practical experience. A valid driver’s license and a safe driving record also are required. Employment is contingent on passage of a drug screening and a background check.

Prospective candidates should make their interest known as soon as possible. To apply, send a brief letter of introduction, current resume, names of three references, and three to five examples of your best work to:

Dennis Ellsworth, Executive Editor, St. Joseph News-Press, 825 Edmond, St. Joseph, MO 64501. Emailed applications are welcomed at dennis.ellsworth@newspressnow.com. The phone number is (816) 271-8550

The St. Joseph News-Press is an equal opportunity employer.

More about this opportunity with the News-Press:

Our coverage area is a rich environment for someone passionate about sports. The News-Press distributes about 30,000 copies daily across 21 counties in Northwest Missouri and Northeast Kansas. The prep sports tradition is strong in this part of the world. In addition, we are home to two NCAA Division II programs (Northwest Missouri State University and Missouri Western State University) and one NAIA program (Benedictine College in Atchison, Kan.).

We also are host to the highly competitive St. Joseph Mustangs of the MINK summer collegiate baseball league and this year have added the title of “Summer Home of the Chiefs” with the NFL team moving its training camp to Missouri Western. We also have competitive junior weightlifting programs, a boxing scene and active adults and youth involved in everything from hunting and fishing to softball, soccer and golf.

Finally, with St. Joseph located about 45 miles north of downtown Kansas City, our region includes many fans of the Chiefs, Royals and Cardinals; programs of the Big XII North, starting with Missouri and Kansas; and NASCAR, which runs races at the Kansas Speedway.

Our primary focus always is our local athletes and competitions, but we seek balance in our coverage to meet these diverse interests. Our staff includes four full-time reporters and editors and six part-time reporters and clerks. We also draw on regular freelancers and seek to develop more user-generated content.

2. Slash

Slash Member

What happened to Scott Pummell?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No idea what happened to Scott, but this is a 30K, 7-day a week paper. You'd be one of four staffers (SE, ASE, two full-time reporters) with a large group of part-time staffers at a family-owned paper. You could do worse.

4. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

Scott is going back to school.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do they staff the Kansas City events much?

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Have to agree. It appears they devote enough resources to sports.

7. ScottDochterman

ScottDochterman New Member

There's good and bad about the job. It depends on your perspective, I guess.

It was a 40,000 circulation job with 6 FT not that long ago. Plenty of talented reporters and editors have moved on to good jobs post-NP.

DM me if you want some background.

8. esport12

esport12 Member

Anyone have any idea on the pay?

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

As far as companies go, you could do a lot worse.

I know they used to staff Chiefs home games a few years ago, but I don't think they do that anymore.

I also know they've been doing some convergence with their news coverage, since the company owns the local cable outfit and they have a newscast on that side of things. With that in mind, it'll be interesting to see how this position takes shape.

Kudos to Scott if he's moving on to better things. He's a good guy.

10. ScottDochterman

ScottDochterman New Member

Congrats to Ross Martin, who was named SE earlier this week.

11. Elmwood44

Elmwood44 New Member

Congrats to Ross! I worked with him a few years when I covered racing events at Kansas Speedway... Great guy and great writer!

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Turns out Scott isn't just going back to school, but law school. Good for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted